English as a Second Language/2 questions

Question
QUESTION: Hi Amy ...Dev again

I have got 2 questions for you.

Please tell me how to tell or speak about fever.
Is it correct to say--I got fever last night.

Please also tell that how to say that fever is not there now,
means I had fever but now I am fine.

Amy ....My second question is that there are so many phrasal verbs, idioms and errors, there are so many things to learn.How should I memorize all these.Plus also there are so many words from different fields like Medicine, Military,Commerce.Sometimes it becomes really agonizing that how can all this me learned.Plz guide

ANSWER: Hello Dev,

one at a time:

1) fever question:

I had a fever last night, but now it's gone.

or

I had a fever last night, but I'm all better now.

or

I had a fever last night.

2) phrasal verbs and idioms

The only advice for mastering these aspects of the English language vocabulary is practice, practice, practice. Some find rote-memorization useful, others learn by reading a lot, some may find listening to native speakers helpful, and so on and so forth.

One of the best ways to learn any language is to immerse yourself completely in that - meaning you have to live among the native speakers of that language.

Keep in mind that some idioms depend on the country/region you're in. You may be surprised to learn that someone who grew up in California for ex, may not understand the "slang" used by New Yorkers, or by those who live in the South. British English speakers use expressions that American English speakers aren't always familiar with and so on and so forth. Doctors have a language of their own that ... say architects may not understand, same with those in the military, or those practicing the law and so on.

You have to keep in mind that nobody will ever be 100% proficient in a language, not even if it's your native language. There is no magic recipe, no overnight solution to what you are asking. It takes time, patience and A TON of practice. A good dictionary, or "google" are certainly handy tools. I use them on a daily basis.

Also, for what it's worth, "plz" is not an English word ;)

I hope this helps,

Best,

Amy

QUESTION: WoW Amazing

Please help me with this question.

I have a fever (Is it correct to say this in present tense)

How a third person can tell to others that someone has got fever.He has had a fever last night.(Is it correct)

Second question is from modals..

The situation is 2 persons are inside their house.Someone knocks on the door.

First person says to the second person--Who could have come/Who could it be??
Second person says--Must be Smith.

Now kindly tell me what modal to use in the second person's reply.
Is the use of must correct ?? Which other Modal (like might be,could be)is also fine.Also please give more probable answers to this sort of question.

Kind Amy...please check what ever I have written as any kind you explain enlightens me

Answer
Hello again Dev,

I have a fever (Is it correct to say this in present tense) Yes

He had a fever last night. is how you say that someone else had a fever. No need to use the present perfect (has had), the simple past (had) is OK.

Second question is from modals..

First person says to the second person
-- Who could have come/Who could it be??
Second person says

--Must be Smith.

Is the use of must correct ?? Yes, only the reply should read "It must be Smith."

Which other Modal (like might be,could be)is also fine.Also please give more probable answers to this sort of question.

Other possible answers for the situation above:

I think it's Smith.
It's probably Smith.
I guess it's Smith.
Chances are it's Smith.

Kind Amy...please check what ever I have written as any kind you explain enlightens me.... not sure what you mean by this so I can't comment.

I hope this helps Dev.

Best,

Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker