English as a Second Language/tag question

Question
Hello. Please tell me if the below sentences are correct or no. Do they have positive or negative meaning? In case one or both are correct, what are the tag questions for them.Thank you.

A. there isn't little water in the kettle.
B. there isn't a little water in the kettle.

Answer
Dear Hamed,

The sentences are incorrect, in such a way that it is impossible to tell what the desired meaning would be. I am going to give you some examples of sentences with correct meanings, and from these, perhaps you will be able to choose the one(s) that expess the meaning desired.

- There is little water in the kettle. (There is some water in the kettle, but not much.)
- There isn't any water in the kettle. (The kettle contains no water.)
- There is only a little water in the kettle. (There is some water in the kettle, but not much.)
- There is hardly any water in the kettle. (There is almost no water in the kettle.)

You may find this link interesting. In standard English,the use of two negatives in a sentence makes one negative cancel out the other, to produce a positive. In the sentences about, the word "little" (not much) is used as a negative, to combining it with "isn't" (contraction "is not")produces a positive.  http://examples.yourdictionary.com/examples-of-double-negatives.html

In colloquial dialects, however, as in slang, double negatives are often used without producing a positive. Most well-educated people, however, would have a negative perception of this usage.

Changing the subject: It is terribly important to begin sentences with a capital letter, which you forgot to do in your examples. A man who did the hiring for a large South Carolina company once told me that if someone omits the capital letter at the beginning of a sentence on the English test everyone is given when applying for a job, he would not be hired because the executive would consider him illiterate. Furthermore, if the applicant knew that it is necessary to begin a sentence with a capital letter but failed to do so, the executive said that is worse, because the applicant is careless, and might cost the company thousands of dollars. He said he might hire the person to sweep floors, but for nothing else.

I am aware that some languages do not have different forms for capital and non-capital letters, so if your language does not make such a distinction, I can see that it might be hard to remember how important this factor is in English. In writing Farsi, for instance, since the form of the writing itself is considered to be an important art form, this could be of esthetic importance as well as grammatical. In most of your question, you have capitalized correctly, but the sentences A and B lack the capitals at the beginning. Please forgive me for calling this to your attention; it is my desire to be of the greatest possible help.

Prof. Evona York  

English as a Second Language

Prof. Evona York, UABC