English as a Second Language/question

Question
QUESTION: Hi,
Wish you a good day.
Could you please help me to clarify this:

How, he asks (1999), could this be achieved in a world where the foreign policies of individual states are themselves outside the control even of the citizens of states whose policies they are?

Pleas tell me by "they are?" he means those (second) policies are whether under or out of control? Otherwise, if l am wrong, what should be written instead of this last pars?
Many Thanks

ANSWER: Hello Azad,

"they are" refers to the "states"

The sentence is correct as written.

I'm not sure I understand your last question though. What do you mean by what should be written instead of this last part?

Please feel free to get back to me if you still need help with this.

Best,

Amy

QUESTION: Thanks for your quick response,
What does it mean when he says "the citizens of states whose policies they are". My problem is with "they are". Could you rewrite the sentence in a more simple way for me. What does he mean when he says "whose policies they are"?
Thanks in advance.

Answer

It means that even the citizens of the states those policies belong to have no control over those policies.

How, he asks (1999), could this be achieved in a world where the foreign policies of individual states are themselves outside the control even of the citizens of states those policies belong to?

How does this sound Azad?

Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker