English as a Second Language/word choices

Question
1.Jane volunteers at a hospital in her spare time.
Jane works at a hospital as a volunteer in her spare time.

Do both have identical meanings?

2. If you can’t learn English well, you may need to make your learning methods more effective.
If you can’t learn English well, you may need to make your learning methods more effeicient.

Do both have identical meanings?

3.The country’s military service system has changed from compulsory to voluntary.

What can be taken in place “changed” and “compulsory”? “Switched” and “obligatory”?

4.I am sorry. I have no authority to make that decision.
I am sorry. I have no authority to make that decision.
I am sorry. It’s not my place to make that decision.

Do they all have the same meaning?

5.The teacher trains students and helps them develop their potential for language fluency.

What can be taken in place of “develop”? “Reach” or “achieve”?

Answer

Do both have identical meanings? yes, the first sounds more natural though

Do both have identical meanings? yes but it's efficient ( I assume that was a typo)

What can be taken in place “changed” and “compulsory”? “Switched” and “obligatory”? Yes. I'd use mandatory though instead of obligatory.

Do they all have the same meaning? The first two are identical, and they have different than the third.

What can be taken in place of “develop”? “Reach” or “achieve”? yes, either reach or achieve can be used as synonyms here.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker