English as a Second Language/word choices

Question
1.M: Is your presentation in the morning or in the afternoon?
W: It is the last session of the day.

In the conversation, does the woman imply the presentation is in the morning or in the afternoon?
Would it mean the same if the response was “My presentation will be the last one of the day”?

2.M: You wrote that ad in the paper, didn’t you?
 W: Yes, that was me.

In the conversation, would it mean the same if the response was , “Yes, I did” or “Yes, I wrote it”?

3.M: Did anyone tell you how the news got out?
 W: No, what happened?

What does the man imply? “Did anyone tell you how the news was released” or “Did anyone tell you how the news was first reported”?

4.M: Did you hear if there will be any job cuts?
 W: Over two thousand staff will go.

Would it mean the same if the response was “there will be a staff cut of over two thousand” or “Over two thousand staff will be laid off”?

5. M: Did you hear if there will be any job cuts?
 W: Luckily, I didn’t hear any news about it.
  Luckily, I didn’t hear any news about them.
  Luckily, I didn’t hear anything about it.

In the conversation, which response is correct?

Answer
W: It is the last session of the day.

In the conversation, does the woman imply the presentation is in the morning or in the afternoon? There is not enough information to tell. The lase session of the day can happen in the AM or in the PM.

Would it mean the same if the response was “My presentation will be the last one of the day”? yes

W: Yes, that was me.

In the conversation, would it mean the same if the response was , “Yes, I did” or “Yes, I wrote it”? Yes.

W: No, what happened?

The question is about how the news was released, not about how it was reported.

W: Over two thousand staff will go.

Would it mean the same if the response was “there will be a staff cut of over two thousand” or “Over two thousand staff will be laid off”? yes but "Over two thousand staff members will be laid off." ALso the original answer from W should read "staff members"

W: Luckily, I didn’t hear any news about it. (1)
 Luckily, I didn’t hear any news about them. (2)
 Luckily, I didn’t hear anything about it. (3)

In the conversation, which response is correct? (1) and (3) I'd actually say "Luckily I don't hear any news/anything about this."

I hope this is helpful Wei.

Looking forward to more of your questions.

Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker