English as a Second Language/word choices

Question
1. My daily work involves operating, fixing and maintaining machines.

What can be taken in place of “machines” in the sentence? “Equipment” or “facilities”?

2. The subway service was suspended this morning due to an accident, and was back in operation in two hours.

The subway service was suspended this morning due to an accident, and was back in  working order two hours later.

The subway service was down this morning due to an accident, and was resumed two hours later.

Do the sentences have the same meaning?

3. Cell phone service has been paralyzed throughout Nepal after the major earthquake.

What can be taken in place of “paralyzed” in the sentence? “Disconnected” or “down”?

4.The city government maintains that the firm has violated several terms of its contract and will order the termination of the contract if the faults are not rectified.

What can be taken in place of “if the faults are not rectified”? “If the situation is not improved”?

5. This subway train can take you to your destination without a transfer.
This subway train can take you straight to your destination.

Do both have the same meaning?

Answer

What can be taken in place of “machines” in the sentence? “Equipment” or “facilities”? Yes to equipment, no to facilities.

Do the sentences have the same meaning? yes

What can be taken in place of “paralyzed” in the sentence? “Disconnected” or “down”? I'd go with "down"; disconnected doesn't fit the context here.

What can be taken in place of “if the faults are not rectified”? “If the situation is not improved”? This works, yes, but "if the situation does not improve"

Do both have the same meaning? Yes, they do.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker