English as a Second Language/Word choice

Question
1.They offered to help us, but we turned them down.
The company stock price is overrated according to experts.

(1.)    What can be taken in place of “turned them down” in the first sentence? “declined them” or “rejected them”?

(2.)    What can be taken in place of “overrated”? “overvalued” or “overpriced”?

2.Would you like to contribute towards Gina’s anniversary gift?
Would you like to contribute to Gina’s anniversary gift?
Would you like to donate money to buy a gift for Gina’s anniversary?

What’s the difference among the three?

3. Your employer should provide full details of any pension plan you are entitled to take part in.
We have to obtain permission from the landlord before we redecorate the building.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “you are entitled to take part in”? “you have the right to take part in”?

(2.) What can be taken in place of “we have to obtain permission from the landlord”? “We need the landlord’s approval”?

4. Jackie chose a room on the top floor of the hotel, so she could have a good view.

Is it correct to leave out the comma in the sentence? Or is it possible to say “Jackie chose a room on the top floor of the hotel so that she could have a good view”?

5.We sat the back, so we could not see the screen clearly.

Can I use “so that” instead of “so”in this sentence just like the example shown in #4? If not, why?

Answer

(1.)   What can be taken in place of “turned them down” in the first sentence? “declined them” or “rejected them”? Declined, or rejected their offer.

(2.)   What can be taken in place of “overrated”? “overvalued” or “overpriced”? overpriced is OK (but you already said price in the sentence), so you should say "The company stocks are overpriced, according to experts."

What’s the difference among the three? none

(1.) What can be taken in place of “you are entitled to take part in”? “you have the right to take part in”? yes

(2.) What can be taken in place of “we have to obtain permission from the landlord”? “We need the landlord’s approval”? yes

Is it correct to leave out the comma in the sentence? You actually need a comma before so when it joins two independent clauses
Or is it possible to say “Jackie chose a room on the top floor of the hotel, so that she could have a good view”? this is also correct, but again you need a comma before "so"

You need to say "we sat in the back"
Can I use “so that” instead of “so”in this sentence just like the example shown in #4? No
If not, why? "so that" means "in order to"; using "so that" here would not make sense.

I hope this helps.

Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker