English as a Second Language/Word choice

Question
1.Recent rains have provided some temporary relief from the drought that has affected the nation for months.

The weather at this moment is not typical for July.

(1.) What is the difference if I change “some” to “a” in the first sentence?
(2.) Would it mean the same if “normal” was used instead of “typical”?

2.The pilot was said to display signs of abnormal behavior before the takeoff, which was possibly linked to the plane crash.

As the job market continues to grow, young people feel their future is optimistic.

(1.) In the first sentence, can I leave out “signs of”?
(2.) What can be taken in place of “optimistic” in the second? “promising’or “full of hope”?

3.The pop singer lost his popularity among young people because of his arrogant attitude.
Arrogance made the pop singer lose his popularity among young people.

Do both sentences have identical meanings? Can I leave out “among young people”?

4. The response to the training is positive.

Some people develop a great inferiority complex because of their appearance and poverty.

(1.)  What is the difference if the first sentence is written “The participants feel positive about the training”?

(2.) What can be taken in place of “develop” in the second sentence? “Have”?

5. In a workplace, subordinates should conform to their superiors even when they disagree with each other.

(1.)   What can be taken in place of “subordinates” and “subordinates”?
(2.)    Can I change “when” to “even though” in the sentence?

Answer

(1.) What is the difference if I change “some” to “a” in the first sentence? none in this case
(2.) Would it mean the same if “normal” was used instead of “typical”? yes, but "not normal" is too strong of an expression; "typical" sounds better in this context.

(1.) In the first sentence, can I leave out “signs of”? yes
(2.) What can be taken in place of “optimistic” in the second? “promising’or “full of hope”? either one

Do both sentences have identical meanings? yes
Can I leave out “among young people”? yes

(1.)  What is the difference if the first sentence is written “The participants feel positive about the training”? none; both sentences have the same meaning

(2.) What can be taken in place of “develop” in the second sentence? “Have”? yes or "acquire"

(1.)   What can be taken in place of “subordinates” and “subordinates”? aides, assistants, subalterns instead of subordinates, and bosses, or supervisors instead of superiors
(2.)   Can I change “when” to “even though” in the sentence?  yes, that should work.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker