English as a Second Language/grammar

Dear Amy, I have heard people saying that, in indirect speach, if the main clause is in past tense the subordinate clause should also be kept in past tense. But lately, I saw the following sentence in a news paper. "The leader of the house SAID that they WILL (insted of "would") bring a no faith motion against the leader of opposition".   what is the point of using " will" here Amy?  thank you in advance.

Hi Buddhi,

you're correct, proper English grammar means that the sentence above should read: The leader of the house SAID that they WOULD bring a no faith motion against the leader of opposition

In reality rules are a lot more flexible and "will" can be used instead of "would".

You can read more about the sequence of tenses and exceptions to the rules in the links below:

I hope this helps.

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker

I can answer question about grammar, spelling, syntax, idioms, reading and/or writing that pertain to English as a Second Language. I am knowledgeable about both TOEFL and IELTS.

I'm a certified ESL teacher with 12 years of experience teaching K-12 and adults.

BSc MEd TESL post grad program for k-12 TESL post grad program for adult ed