English as a Second Language/Word choice

Question
1. The successful applicant will also have basic computer skills, including knowledge of common computer software programs.

Please note that this affects all occupants of offices on every floor of the building.

(1.)   What can be taken in place of “common”in the first sentence? “Often used”or “frequently used”?

(2.)    What can be taken in place of “note” and “occupants”? “Notice”and “users”?

2. US Union Airlines is currently looking for Maintenance Supervisor at our Atlanta facility. You will be responsible for the supervision and management of the day-to-day operations within the Maintenance Department.

(1.) In the first sentence, does “facility” imply “equipment or buildings”?

(2.) In the second sentence, does “day-to-day operations” imply “daily activities of repairs”?

3.I didn’t get up this morning because my alarm didn’t go off.
The company/ the athlete has been in terrible shape recently.

(1.)    Would it mean the same if I changed “go off” to “sound”?

(2.)    What can be taken in place of “in terrible shape”? “In a difficult situation”?

4. I hope you can understand my reasons for leaving this position. I believe that this decision in the best interests of my family and my career.

The company was in terrible shape. I have tried to bring us up-to-date, so we are more competitive.

(1.)    What is another way to say the second sentence? “… that this decision is good/an advantage for my family and my career”?

(2.)    What is another way to say “up-to-date” in the last sentence?

5.I would also encourage you to only apply for a grant if you are sure you will attend Eastern Trade Fair.

(1.)   Does the sentence imply that if applicants are not sure whether they will attend the fair, they should not apply for a grant?
(2.)   What is the difference if I say, “I would also encourage you to apply for a grant only if you are sure you will attend Eastern Trade Fair”?

Answer

(1.)   What can be taken in place of “common”in the first sentence? “Often used”or “frequently used”? yes, but I'd stick to common.

(2.)   What can be taken in place of “note” and “occupants”? know for note and occupants is really not something you should change here

2. US Union Airlines is currently looking for a Maintenance Supervisor at our Atlanta facility. You will be responsible for the supervision and management of the day-to-day operations within the Maintenance Department.

(1.) In the first sentence, does “facility” imply “equipment or buildings”? building

(2.) In the second sentence, does “day-to-day operations” imply “daily activities of repairs”? "daily activities" (not necessarily of repairs)

(1.)   Would it mean the same if I changed “go off” to “sound”? native speakers use "go off" "sound" is not a good synonym here

(2.)   What can be taken in place of “in terrible shape”? “In a difficult situation”? yes

4. I hope you can understand my reasons for leaving this position. I believe that this decision is in the best interests of my family and my career.

(1.)   What is another way to say the second sentence? “… that this decision is a step in the right direction for my family and my career”

(2.)   What is another way to say “up-to-date” in the last sentence? up-to-speed

(1.)   Does the sentence imply that if applicants are not sure whether they will attend the fair, they should not apply for a grant? yes
(2.)   What is the difference if I say, “I would also encourage you to apply for a grant only if you are sure you will attend Eastern Trade Fair”? this is actually how I'd word the sentence, the "original" sounds a bit odd to me.

I hope this helps Wei.

Looking forward to more of your questions.

Best,

Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker