English as a Second Language/Word choice

Question
1. I was locked out of my house late last night, so I stayed overnight at my friend’s place.
Applicants must have 3-5 years in aircraft maintenance.

(1.) Is it possible to change “stayed” to “spent”? What is the difference?
(2.) Does “aircraft maintenance” imply “airplane repairs”? Can I say also “aircraft servicing”?

2. My boss just resigned. They need me to cover his job for a few weeks.
Dr. Dawkins teaches on MBA and executive education programs.

(1.) What is another way to say “they need me to cover his job”? “They need me to cover for him” or “they need me to take over his job”?

(2.)  Should I leave out “on” in the second sentence or say “…teaches MBA and executive courses”?

3. I hope you can get all the stationery supplies to us by Friday, June 5, as courses will start the following Monday.

Please be generous and sponsor me if you can. Whatever you give will go to a good cause.

(1.)    What is another way to say “get all the stationery supplies to us”? “Send/deliver all the stationery supplies to us”?
(2.)    What is another way to say “good cause” in the second sentence?

4. The government has cut the budget for the coming year and your industry has been the hardest hit.

The tourism and economy were hard hit by SARS in some countries during its outbreak.

Some cities on the island were hard hit by the typhoon.

(1.)    Does “hardest hit”in the first sentence have the same meaning as “hard hit”in the second or third sentence?
(2.)    What is another way to say “has been the hardest hit” in the first sentence? “has been most affected”?

5. Since the management changes came into effect last spring, I find that I am working much longer hours than I am comfortable with.

(1.)    What is another way to say “working much longer hours than I am comfortable with”?
“Working much longer hours than I can accept”?

(2.)   Should I use the perfect tense in the sentence? “I find that I have worked much longer hours” or “I find that I have been working much longer hours”?

Answer

Your sentence should be reworded to say
I was locked out of my house late last night, so I stayed at my friend’s place overnight.
I was locked out of my house late last night, so I spent the night at my friend’s place.

(2.) Does “aircraft maintenance” imply “airplane repairs”? Yes. Can I say also “aircraft servicing”? Ys, but "maintenance" is more appropriate/natural.

(1.) What is another way to say “they need me to cover his job”? “They need me to cover for him” or “they need me to take over his job”? yes and yes again

(2.)  Should I leave out “on” in the second sentence or say “…teaches MBA and executive courses”? He can't be teaching MBA, I'm assuming he's teaching some MBA courses... "on" doesn't belong in the sentence anyway.
Id say
Dr D teaches some courses in the MBA program as well as some executive education classes/courses.

(1.)   What is another way to say “get all the stationery supplies to us”? “Send/deliver all the stationery supplies to us”? deliver is OK, send doesn't imply that the supplies will reach their destination.
(2.)   What is another way to say “good cause” in the second sentence? for charity; I'd stick to "a good cause"

(1.)   Does “hardest hit”in the first sentence have the same meaning as “hard hit”in the second or third sentence?
First sentence should read ... your industry was hit the hardest.
Second: ... were hit hard...
Third: ... were hit hard...
The meaning is the same in all three
(2.)   What is another way to say “has been the hardest hit” in the first sentence? “has been most affected”? yes

(1.)   What is another way to say “working much longer hours than I am comfortable with”?
“Working much longer hours than I can accept”? yes, or "much longer hours than I'd want"

(2.)   Should I use the perfect tense in the sentence? “I find that I have worked much longer hours” or “I find that I have been working much longer hours”? the second version is the right one here: "I have been working..."  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker