English as a Second Language/Word choice

Question
1.These letters are ready to go out soon.
 Where on earth could Alex be?

(1.)   What is another way to say “These letters are ready to go out soon”? “These letters are ready to be sent out soon”?

(2.)    What is another way to say “Where on earth could Alex be”? Does it have the same meaning as “Where in the world could Alex be”?

2.W: I found a good hotel we can use for next month’s conference.
M: Is it expensive?
W: I’ve got a good deal.
M: Okay, I guess you can go ahead and book the event.

(1.) Would it mean the same if I said, “I’ve got a good price” or “I’ve got a good bargain?

(2.) What is another way to say “book the event”? “Reserve the place” and “make the arrangement”?

3.M::  I am sorry but the recent increase in orders means the production department needs more staff. I can’t promise to meet our targets with the number we have.
W:  Are you sure, you already have 35 employees. Perhaps we could just extend the shifts from eight to nine hours.

(1.What does the word “number” mean? “The number of employees”?

(2. What can be taken in place of “shifts”? “Work hours”? Can I say also, “We could just increase/ prolong the work hours from eight to nine”?

4.W: Your boss’s house is huge! I wish we lived in a place like that. It’s a great neighborhood, too. Where does he get the money from?
M: I have no idea. It must be worth a fortune, though.
W: Maybe you should ask him for a raise when you go into work on Monday.

(1.) What is another way to say “Where does he get the money from”?

(2.) Can I say “go to work” rather than “go into work”in the conversation? What is the difference?

5.W: Can you please stop the car in a safe place and turn off the engine?
M: Well, how did I do?
W: Well, it was good in places, but you need to practice a lot.

(1.)   What is another way to say “How did I do”? “What do you think of my driving”?
(2.)    What does “in places” imply? “In some places”?  What is another way to say “it was good in places”?

Answer
Where on earth could Alex be?

(1.)   What is another way to say “These letters are ready to go out soon”? “These letters are ready to be sent out soon”? yes

(2.)   What is another way to say “Where on earth could Alex be”? Where the heck could Alex be? Do you have any idea where Alex may/can/could/might be?
Does it have the same meaning as “Where in the world could Alex be”? yes

M: Is it expensive?
W: I’ve got a good deal.

(1.) Would it mean the same if I said, “I’ve got a good price” or “I’ve got a good bargain? yes

(2.) What is another way to say “book the event”? “Reserve the place” and “make the arrangement”? yes but make the arrangements

(1.What does the word “number” mean? “The number of employees”? yes

(2. What can be taken in place of “shifts”? “Work hours”? nothing can replace "shifts" here
Can I say also, “We could just increase/ prolong the work hours from eight to nine”? yes but it would sound odd; I'd stick to the original.

(1.) What is another way to say “Where does he get the money from”? I wonder what his source of income may be.

(2.) Can I say “go to work” rather than “go into work”in the conversation? yes
What is the difference? none

M: Well, how did I do?

(1.)   What is another way to say “How did I do”? “What do you think of my driving”? yes
(2.)   What does “in places” imply? “In some places”? yes
What is another way to say “it was good in places”? Well, you definitely have some skills, but you need to continue practicing. (this would be the entire sentence)  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker