English as a Second Language/Word choice

Question
1.Some bags are on the baggage carousel.

He is driving a nail through a side of the bookshelf.

(1.)    What can be taken in place of “baggage carousel”? “Conveyor belt” or “belt conveyor”?

(2.)   Would it mean the same if the second sentence was written like this: He is hammering a nail through the bookshelf ?

2.The leaves have fallen from the tree.
A label is attached to the zip tie, which is used to connect the shoes.

(1.)    Does the first sentence have the same meaning as “There are no leaves on the tree”? What’s the difference?
(2.)    How do I rephrase the second sentence to make it shorter?

3.People are talking together in groups.
I can’t access the Internet from here.

(1.)    Does the sentence have the same meaning if I say “People in groups are talking together”?
(2.)    What is another way to say “I can’t access the Internet”?

4.M: Can you allow two more in your car?
W: Only if there is enough room.

M: Do you know who called while I was out?
  W: Sorry, I didn’t get the name.

(1.)    In the first conversation, does it mean the same if I change “only if” to “As long as”?
(2.)    In the second, what is another to say “I didn’t’ get the name”?

5.M: Are you looking to hire new staff?
W: We’ll need to recruit someone soon.

M: Where do you recommend I stay in New York.
W: The Grand Hotel is a good value.

(1.)    In the first conversation, does it mean the same if I say “Are you looking for new staff”?

(2.)   What is another way to say “The Grand Hotel is a good value”?  “The Grand Hotel has a good rate”?

Answer

(1.)   What can be taken in place of “baggage carousel”? “Conveyor belt”

(2.)   Would it mean the same if the second sentence was written like this: He is hammering a nail through the bookshelf ? Yes

2.The leaves have fallen from the tree.

(1.)   Does the first sentence have the same meaning as “There are no leaves on the tree”? What’s the difference? these are two different sentences. It really depends on what point you're trying to make here...
(2.)   How do I rephrase the second sentence to make it shorter? There is a label on the zip tie connecting the shoes.

I can’t access the Internet from here.

(1.)   Does the sentence have the same meaning if I say “People in groups are talking together”? Yes
(2.)   What is another way to say “I can’t access the Internet”? I don't have Internet access, or I can't go online.

W: Only if there is enough room.

W: Sorry, I didn’t get the name.

(1.)   In the first conversation, does it mean the same if I change “only if” to “As long as”? yes
(2.)   In the second, what is another to say “I didn’t’ get the name”? I can't remember who that was. I forgot to ask for his/her name.

5.M: Are you looking to hire new staff?
W: We’ll need to recruit someone soon.

W: The Grand Hotel is a good value.

(1.)   In the first conversation, does it mean the same if I say “Are you looking for new staff”? yes

(2.)   What is another way to say “The Grand Hotel is a good value”?  “The Grand Hotel has good rates”?  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker