English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1. Ex: There are ten of us in the research and development department.

(1.)   Does the sentence have the same meaning as “We have ten employees in the research and development department”?

Ex: I thought the hotel was full, but luckily the receptionist said there had been a cancellation.

(2.)    What can be taken in place of “luckily”?  “but fortunately” or “but the good news was that”?

2. My leg was very painful after the accident, but the doctor said he could not do anything to help.

(1.)    What is another way to say “he could not do anything to help”?  “He could do nothing to help”?

(2.) In the sentence, is it possible to say “ He could do something/everything to help”? For example, my leg was very painful after the accident, and the doctor said he could do something/everything to help.

3. Mr. Saito has been away on a business trip since Monday.
Mr. Saito is away on a business trip until Monday.

(1.)    What is the difference between the two?

Mr. Saito will return from a business trip by Monday.

(2.)    Do both have identical meanings? What is the difference?

4.   The chairman promised to look into the possibility of raising salaries for workers in the cafeteria.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “look into”?  “explore” or “investigate”?

This type of medicine is for external use only.

(2.) What is the opposite meaning of “external use only”? “Internal use only” or what else?

5.Is Miguel definitely coming with us to Colorado on Friday?

Can I replace “definitely” with “surely” or “certainly”?  If not, why?

Answer

(1.)   Does the sentence have the same meaning as “We have ten employees in the research and development department”? yes

(2.)   What can be taken in place of “luckily”?  “but fortunately” yes
or “but the good news was that”? if you use this expression then the sentence should read" I thought the hotel was full, but the good news was that there had been a cancellation.

(1.)   What is another way to say “he could not do anything to help”?  he was unable to help; there was nothing he could do for me.

(2.) In the sentence, is it possible to say “ He could do something/everything to help”? For example, my leg was very painful after the accident, and the doctor said he could do something/everything to help. Yes to something, using "everything" here makes no sense.

3. Mr. Saito has been away on a business trip since Monday. The verb tense here is the Present Perfect. This means that the action happened at an unspecified time before now. So Mr Saito left for his business trip on Monday.

Mr. Saito is away on a business trip until Monday. The verb in this sentence is at the Present Simple, and it expresses the idea that the action is happening now. So Mr Saito is away and will be coming back on Monday.

(1.)   What is the difference between the two? see above

(2.)   Do both have identical meanings? What is the difference? NO difference

(1.) What can be taken in place of “look into”?  “explore” or “investigate”? yes

(2.) What is the opposite meaning of “external use only”? “Internal use only”.

I'd rephrase the original sentence to read: "Are you/we sure that Miguel is coming with us to Colorado on Friday?" using definitely, certainly or surely the way you suggest is not correct.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker