English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.Most motorcycle repair shops here offer free smog checks with a chance to get free gifts.
The repair shop offers vehicle tests at no cost.

(1.)    In the first sentence, is it possible to say “Most motorcycle repair shops here offer free smog checks along with free gifts”?
(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I replace “vehicle tests” with “vehicle checks”?

2. Welcome to our program. I am your host, Jenifer Duran. Our top story tonight is the breaking news that Derek Brown, head of Australian Workers Unite, called for a national strike.

(1.)   In the context above, should we refer to the host as a news presenter or an anchor?
(2.)   Is “Unite” in the sentence a noun or verb? Does the word mean “Union”?

3.
We held a public enquiry into the environmental effects of the proposed new road.
We received over 300 enquiries about the job.
Do you dip your French fries in ketchup or milkshake?

(1.) In the first and second sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “enquire/enquires” with “inquiry/ inquiries”?

(2.)  What is another way to say “dip your French fries in ketchup or milkshake”?

4. Take time to unwind yourself after a hard day’s work.
  Do you know how to unwind a clock that has been wound-up too tight?

(1.)    What can be taken in place of “unwind yourself’ in the first sentence? “Relax”?
(2.)    What is another way to say “unwind” and “a clock that has been wound-up too tight”?

“Loosen” and “a clock that has been over tightened”?

5. An e-mail message usually arrives in the recipient's e mail inbox within seconds.

Following the failure in contract negotiations between workers and management, the union instructed its members to stop working as of Monday.
 The reason for the collapse of the talks is still unclear.

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “It usually takes seconds for an e-mail to reach the recipient’s inbox”?
(2.)   Does it mean the same if I replace “failure” with “breakdown” in the second sentence and “collapse” with “failure” in the third?

Answer

(1.)   In the first sentence, is it possible to say “Most motorcycle repair shops here offer free smog checks along with free gifts”? yes, but the meaning won't be the same.

(2.)   In the second, does it mean the same if I replace “vehicle tests” with “vehicle checks”? yes

(1.)   In the context above, should we refer to the host as a news presenter or an anchor? either
(2.)   Is “Unite” in the sentence a noun or verb? Does the word mean “Union”? unite is a verb; and it doesn't necessarily mean union. Here though I think it's a union they're talking about.

3.

(1.) In the first and second sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “enquire/enquires” with “inquiry/ inquiries”? enquire is the British English equivalent of the American English inquire

(2.)  What is another way to say “dip your French fries in ketchup or milkshake”? none

(1.)   What can be taken in place of “unwind yourself’ in the first sentence? “Relax”? Yes but it should be "take time to unwind after...." no need for "yourself"
(2.)   What is another way to say “unwind” and “a clock that has been wound-up too tight”? none

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “It usually takes seconds for an e-mail to reach the recipient’s inbox”? yes
(2.)   Does it mean the same if I replace “failure” with “breakdown” in the second sentence and “collapse” with “failure” in the third?  Yes for both cases.

I hope this helps Wei.

Best,  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker