English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1. Networking is important for businesses of all sizes because 70% of new business comes from referrals. Therefore, those attending networking events should meet and find out about new people rather than try to “sell” people.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “referrals” in the first sentence? “Recommendations” or “contacts”?
(2.) In the second, what is meant by “sell people”?  “Sell themselves to people”?

2. The comedy is one of the most popular TV series among young people in Korea in 2014.

The suicide of the student protester triggered a series of reaction.

(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “…one of Korea’s most popular TV series among young people in 2014”?

(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I say “triggered a chain reaction” or “triggered a chain of reaction”?

3. For customers in Orlando, we guarantee to respond within one hour. Minimum service call charge of $175 applies. Parts and labor not included.

(1.)    Does “respond” mean “contact you” in the first sentence?

(2.)    What is meant by “service call ” and “applies”?  “A call for service handled by the provider” and “is imposed”?

4. Following our recent phone call, please find attached details confirming your participation in our summer school program.

Does the sentence imply that someone called in to take courses  before the receipt of a confirmation notice?

5. I would be grateful if you could acknowledge receipt of this letter.

The teacher acknowledged two students who achieved the highest marks for the exams.

(1.)    What is the difference between “acknowledge” in the first sentence and “acknowledged” in the second?

(2.)     In the first sentence, may I say also, “…if you could confirm receipt of this letter” or “if you could let me know whether you have received the letter”?

Answer

(1.) What can be taken in place of “referrals” in the first sentence? “Recommendations” or “contacts”? I'd stick to referrals, but recommendations works too.
(2.) In the second, what is meant by “sell people”?  “Sell themselves to people”? No, that's definitely not the meaning. I don't really know how to interpret that sentence.

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “…one of Korea’s most popular TV series among young people in 2014”? yes

(2.)   In the second, does it mean the same if I say “triggered a chain reaction” or “triggered a chain of reaction”? yes but "triggered a chain of reactionS"

(1.)   Does “respond” mean “contact you” in the first sentence? Yes

(2.)   What is meant by “service call ” and “applies”?  “A call for service handled by the provider” and “is imposed”? yes; applies = charged though, not imposed.

Does the sentence imply that someone called in to take courses  before the receipt of a confirmation notice? yes

5. I would be grateful if you could acknowledge THE receipt of this letter.

(1.)   What is the difference between “acknowledge” in the first sentence and “acknowledged” in the second?

first acknowledge = recognize the receipt of something
second acknowledge = recognize someone's accomplishments

(2.)    In the first sentence, may I say also, “…if you could confirm THE receipt of this letter” or “if you could let me know whether you have received the letter” yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker