English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.It takes approximately five days to deliver your items after the order is received.
It’s been four weeks since we dispatched your order of 300 color brochures.

(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “deliver” with “send” or “ship”? What is the difference?

(2.)    In the second, does it mean the same if I replace “dispatched” with “sent”, “shipped” or “delivered”?

2.Mr. Ames visited Bendix Furniture at the end of last week.
Mr. Ames visited Bendix Furniture over the weekend.

What’s the difference between the two?

3.May I please remind you to pay the invoice at the earliest opportunity?

Will all staff who us the conference room for internal meetings please remember to take their cups away with them afterwards.

(1.)    In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “at the earliest opportunity” with “as soon as possible”?

(2.)    In the second, I wonder if native speakers ever say “external meetings”? Does it refer to a meeting held outside a particular company?

4.Frank Bickerstaff is well known for his profiles of business leaders. This is his latest publication on the subject.

In most dating sites, members need to create their own profiles before they browse others’ and search for partners.

(1.)    What can taken in place of “profiles of”?  “Descriptions of” or “introductions to”?
(2.)    Does “profiles” in the first sentence have the same meaning as the one in the second?

5.Join Dr. Silvia Petronelli on a journey to other planets and moons in the hunt for alien life. We are not alone.

(1.)    What does “we are not alone” imply in the sentence?

His qualifications are not appropriate.
His qualifications are not good enough.

(2.)    What is the difference between the two? Do they mean the same?

Answer

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “deliver” with “send” or “ship”? What is the difference? The meaning is different. Deliver means to hand over the objects that were ordered; send or ship means that they're still on the way

(2.)   In the second, does it mean the same if I replace “dispatched” with “sent”, “shipped” or “delivered”? send or ship are ok, deliver .... see above.

What’s the difference between the two? None really.

3.May I please remind you to pay the invoice at YOUR earliest opportunity?

(1.)   In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “at the earliest opportunity” with “as soon as possible”? yes

(2.)   In the second, I wonder if native speakers ever say “external meetings”? Does it refer to a meeting held outside a particular company? No we don't say external meetings; also the second sentence doesn't make sense..

(1.)   What can taken in place of “profiles of”?  “Descriptions of” "portraits of" "depictions of"
(2.)   Does “profiles” in the first sentence have the same meaning as the one in the second? yes

(1.)   What does “we are not alone” imply in the sentence? That there is life on other planets.

His qualifications are not appropriate.
His qualifications are not good enough.

(2.)   What is the difference between the two? Do they mean the same?
Not appropriate means that he doesn't have the right qualifications for the job. (like a mechanic applying for an electrician job for ex).
Not enough means that he still needs some training in order to be ready for the job.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker