English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.He has a great capacity for playing basketball.

(1.)  Does it mean the same if I replace “a great capacity” with “a great ability” or “a great capability”?

I really thank you for helping me move to a new house.

(2.)  In the sentence, may I say also, “I really appreciate you for helping me move to a new house”?

2. The elevator has a capacity of up to 10 people, but it is often overloaded.

The elevator is often overloaded despite its maximum capacity of 10 people.

(1.)   Do both mean the same?  

It is always a good practice to recite and use the words when you study English.

(2.)   What is another way to say “It is always a good practice to…” in the sentence?

3. Press the on/off button to initiate the operating system before you access Windows.

(1.) May I replace “initiate” with “initialize” in the sentence?  What’s the difference?

When you install software, you click the “install” button and wait before the process initiates.

(2.)   May I replace “initiates” with “initializes” in the sentence?

4. Parents help their children boost their self-confidence by verbally encouraging them.

(1.)   In the sentence, may I say “by giving them verbal encouragement”?

Putting all eggs in one basket will increase the risk of investment.

(2.)   In the sentence, may I say also, “Putting eggs in different baskets will decrease the risk of investment?

5. An internship is a great way to get vocational training.

(1.) In the sentence, may I replace “an internship” with “working as an intern”?

Dealing with a monotonous job is part of my daily routine, but it helps me pay the bills.

(2. ) In the sentence, may I replace “dealing” with “working” or “doing”?

Answer

(1.)  Does it mean the same if I replace “a great capacity” with “a great ability” or “a great capability”? yes

I'd say: "I really appreciate you taking the time to help me move into a new house"

(1.)   Do both mean the same?  yes

(2.)   What is another way to say “It is always a good practice to…” in the sentence? It's always indicated; it's a good idea

(1.) May I replace “initiate” with “initialize” in the sentence?  What’s the difference? Yes you may. No difference.

(2.)   May I replace “initiates” with “initializes” in the sentence? yes

Usually in computer lingo, "initialize" is preferred to "initiate".

(1.)   In the sentence, may I say “by giving them verbal encouragement”? yes

(2.)   In the sentence, may I say also, “Putting eggs in different baskets will decrease the risk of investment? no, there is no such expression as "putting eggs in different baskets"

(1.) In the sentence, may I replace “an internship” with “working as an intern”? yes

(2. ) In the sentence, may I replace “dealing” with “working” or “doing”? yes but you'd have to say "working a monotonous job" or "doing a monotonous job"  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker