English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.You can contact our company by e-mail. Alternatively, you can visit us in person.

(1.)    What can be taken in place of “alternatively” in the sentence?  “Instead” or “otherwise”?

Her distinctive voice made her one of the most popular singers in Asia.

(2.)    What can be taken in place of “distinctive” in the sentence?  “Unique”?

2. Changing demographics are opening the door to new markets and exciting opportunities.

(1.)    What is another way to say “opening the door to”?

Dr. Philippe Gaston put forward the view that there will soon be millions of new consumers for high-value products in the global market place.

(2.) What is meant by “put forward”?  “Suggest”? What is another way to say “put forward the view”?

3.Last year, there were a record number of employment disputes.

(1.)   Does it mean the same if I say “…there were the largest number of employment disputes”?

I have conducted an internal review, as per our procedures.

(2.)    What is another way to say “as per our procedures”?

4. As promised, I am resending your shipment of 25 packs of copier paper.

(1.)   Does it mean the same if I replace “shipment” with “order”?

If the lost shipment does show up, please accept it with our compliments by way of compensation for the inconvenience this has caused.

(2.)    What is meant by “accept it with our compliments”?
(3.)    What is meant by “by way of”?

Answer

(1.)   What can be taken in place of “alternatively” in the sentence?  “Instead” or “otherwise”? yes, or simply "or"

(2.)   What can be taken in place of “distinctive” in the sentence?  “Unique”? yes

(1.)   What is another way to say “opening the door to”? promote, mitigate, facilitate

(2.) What is meant by “put forward”?  “Suggest” encourage, introduce
What is another way to say “put forward the view”? introduced the idea that...

(1.)   Does it mean the same if I say “…there were the largest number of employment disputes”? yes

(2.)   What is another way to say “as per our procedures”? according to our procedures

(1.)   Does it mean the same if I replace “shipment” with “order”? yes

(2.)   What is meant by “accept it with our compliments”? it means that the company agrees to pay for the cost of the shipping (and the merchandise) as a way to compensate for the inconvenience
(3.)   What is meant by “by way of”? as a way of  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker