English as a Second Language/confusing words

Question
Hi....I am Dev from India.

I have learned Homonyms, homographs and homophones from internet
but I am not able to understand Heteronym and hetrophone.

Please explain.

Answer
Hi, Dev,

See if this helps.

het·er·o·nym
ˈhedərəˌnim/
nounLINGUISTICS
1.
each of two or more words that are spelled identically but have different sounds and meanings, such as tear meaning “rip” and tear meaning “liquid from the eye.”

THE FIRST, "TEAR" MEANING "RIP" IS PRONOUNCED "TAIR", AND THE SECOND, MEANING "LIQUID FROM THE EYE" IS PRONOUNCED "TEER."  ANOTHER EXAMPLE IS "READ", PRONOUNCED AS "REED" IN THE PRESENT TENSE, AND "RED" IN THE PAST TENSE.

A HETROPHONE IS THE SAME THING. THE TWO WORDS ARE SYNONYMS.

2.
each of two or more words that are used to refer to the identical thing in different geographical areas of a speech community, such as submarine sandwich, hoagie, and grinder.

THIS SIMPLY MEANS THAT PEOPLE IN DIFFERENT PLACES MAY USE A DIFFERENT NAME FOR THE SAME THING.
FOR INSTANCE A BOTTLED SOFT DRINK IS CALLED "POP" IN NORTH CAROLINA, WHERE I COME FROM, BUT IS CALLED A "SODA" IN CALIFORNIA. THOSE TERMS WOULD BE HETERONYMS.

(From https://www.google.com.mx/?gfe_rd=cr&ei=Ij30VcbuMZTU-APOoL_gCw&gws_rd=ssl#q=heteronyms, with my commments inserted in caps.)

English as a Second Language

Prof. Evona York, UABC