English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.    
1. The test is a standardized test that aims to assess your ability to understand English.

(1.)   What is another way to say “that aims to assess”?  “That is intended to assess”?

The government has adopted some new programs that aim to improve unemployment.

(2.)    In the sentence, may I say “…that are aimed to improve..”?

2. Your original scores from each section are converted into a test score, giving a total score of between 0 and 100.

(1.)   What can be taken in place of “converted into” and “giving”?  “Changed into” and “adding up to”?

The curtains are closed.
(2.)    What is the opposite of the sentence? “The curtains are pulled/drawn/open”?

3. He is examining a car in the garage.

(1.)    What can be taken in place of “examining”?  “Checking” or “inspecting”?

The boat is traveling on the lake.

(2.)    What is the difference if “traveling” is replaced by “sailing” and “cruising”?

4. She is resting a magazine on her knee.

(1.)   Should we say “on her knee” or “on her knees”?  (I think that it should be supported by both knees when we place something on our knees)
(2.)    What is another way to say the sentence?  “She is placing a magazine on her knee”?

5. She is making a drink.

(1.)   What is another way to say “making a drink”?  “pouring tea/coffee/water into a cup”?

She is dressed in black.

(2.)    Does the sentence mean the same if I say “she is in black” or “she is wearing black”?

Answer
1.   

(1.)   What is another way to say “that aims to assess”?  “That is intended to assess”? yes

(2.)   In the sentence, may I say “…that are aimed to improve..”? yes

(1.)   What can be taken in place of “converted into” and “giving”?  “Changed into” and “adding up to”? yes, that should work

The curtains are closed.
(2.)   What is the opposite of the sentence? “The curtains are pulled/drawn/open”? "open" is what you're looking for here

3. He is examining a car in the garage.

(1.)   What can be taken in place of “examining”?  “Checking” or “inspecting”? checking out or inspecting

The boat is traveling on the lake.

(2.)   What is the difference if “traveling” is replaced by “sailing” and “cruising”? not much really. It depends on the context and the type of boat though.

(1.)   Should we say “on her knee” or “on her knees”?  (I think that it should be supported by both knees when we place something on our knees) It depends. She may be using just one of her knees to support the magazine.
(2.)   What is another way to say the sentence?  “She is placing a magazine on her knee”? I'd say "She has a magazine on her knee"

5. She is making a drink.

(1.)   What is another way to say “making a drink”?  “pouring tea/coffee/water into a cup”? I need more context here to be able to answer this.

She is dressed in black.

(2.)   Does the sentence mean the same if I say “she is in black” no, this is incorrect
or “she is wearing black”? yes, this is fine.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker