English as a Second Language/Question

Question
Hi Amy,

Please read this:

During the heat of the 2008 Presidential primaries, I jumped on Senator Obamaís statement in a debate that he would meet with the leaders of Iran, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba, and North Korea ďwithout preconditionĒ
during the first year of a new administration. Return to diplomacy, I said, engage with these countries, but donít promise to reward them with a high-profile Presidential meeting unless we get something in return. In response his campaign accused me of toeing the
Bush line and refusing to talk to our adversaries. None of this was particularly illuminating for voters, but thatís life on the campaign trail.

Would you please tell me what does the last sentence try to say ?
"None of this was particularly illuminating for voters, but thatís life on the campaign trail."

Best

Hossein Saeedi

Answer
Hi Hossein,

None of the things I shared above really helped voters better understand us/our ideas, but that is what life looks like when you're campaigning. By campaigning they mean the events that take place during the electoral campaign.

Let me know if that makes sense to you, or I'll give it another try.

Best,

~Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker