English as a Second Language/Question

Question
Hi Amy,
Reword this for me please:

Throughout the spring of 2010 we worked aggressively to round up the votes. I threw myself into it, with a wide- ranging diplomatic effort that reminded me of backroom negotiations in the Senate, with all the horse trading, arm-twisting, vote counting, alternating appeals to principle and self-interest, and hard-ball politics that go into passing major legislation.

I mean this : "with all the horse trading, arm-twisting, vote counting, alternating appeals to principle and self-interest, and hard-ball politics that go into passing major legislation."

Best,

Hossein Saeedi

Answer
Hi Hossein,

another interesting question :)

I'm guessing the following expressions are what gave you a hard time with the sentence above:

horse trading - here it means bargaining
arm- twisting  - persuasion by the use of physical force or moral pressure
hard-ball - use of any means in order to reach a goal

So "with all the horse-trading, arm-twisting, vote counting, alternating appeals to principle and self-interest, and hard-ball politics that go into passing major legislation"  can be "translated" into: "all these techniques/approaches/tactics/strategies that are part of the process of passing major legislation"

I hope that answers your question.

~Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker