English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.As the Election Day draws near, there are more speculations about who will be the winners.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “draws near” and “speculations”?  “Comes near” and what?

He makes a fortune by speculating on the stock market.

(2.)In the sentence, is it possible to say “by speculating on stocks”?

2.
Jean is always up to something evil, but I can see through her scheme every time.

(1.) In the sentence, what can be taken in place of “see through”?

The wedding my husband gave me holds great significance.

(2.) What is another way to say “holds great significance”?

3 .We should keep historic sites because of their cultural significance.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “keep”? “Save”?

Security is tight in the parking lot.

(2.)What is the opposite of “security is tight”?  “Security is low” or “security is not enough”?

4. Security guards are checking visitors’ IDs at the gate.

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also, “Security is checking visitors’ IDs ….”?

Peace talks between Taiwan and China will contribute to the island’s security stability.

(2.)What can be taken in place of “contribute to”? “Benefit”?

5. I feel an invasion of privacy when my girlfriend checks my cell phone messages.

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also, “I feel my privacy invaded when…”?

In contrast to his brother, John enjoys outdoor activities.

(2.)In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say “in contrast with” or “in comparison with”?

Answer

(1.) What can be taken in place of “draws near” and “speculations”?  “Comes near”/approaches and what? Theories, guesses

(2.)In the sentence, is it possible to say “by speculating on stocks”? yes

2.

(1.) In the sentence, what can be taken in place of “see through”? anticipate, figure out

(2.) What is another way to say “holds great significance”? is very important

(1.) What can be taken in place of “keep”? “Save”... more like preserve, but save should work too

Security is tight in the parking lot.

(2.)What is the opposite of “security is tight”?  “Security is loose” or "there isn't enough security"

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also, “Security is checking visitors’ IDs ….”? yes

(2.)What can be taken in place of “contribute to”? strengthen, support, help

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also, “I feel my privacy invaded when…”? yes

In contrast to his brother, John enjoys outdoor activities. (doesn't sound natural to me)

I'd say "Unlike his brother, John..."  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker