English as a Second Language/give..

Question
QUESTION: Hi
Hope you are fine!
Which one is correct?

"One of the most important effects of positive thinking is..... us motivation and energy to do things."

a) to give

b) giving

Thank you
Please explain your reasons

ANSWER: Hello, Hamed,

Either one is fine. I think "to give" is a little clearer, but both an infinitive (to give) and a gerund (giving) can be used as a noun. Personally, I would probably use a phrase: "that it gives us..." or bettter still "the fact that it gives us..."

Some things have to do with personal choice, and this is probably one of them. Learn to listen to the flow of the language--how it SOUNDS, and how the words flow in rhythm. At your level of English, you are going to find more and more that things don't fit neatly within grammatical rules, and that you will develop a more extensive, more personal style in your use of the language. One of the joys of English is the great wealth of synonyms, none of which are exactly alike, but can have tiny differences that allow one the express very precisely what one wants to say. In answer to your question, I would say, "Use the one that pleases you."

I hope you will find this helpful.

Prof. Evona York

QUESTION: Hi
Thank you so much for your reply. Would you please tell me why the use of a "that-clause" a better than using my options?
Thank you

Answer
Hello, Hamed,

As I mentioned, it's a matter of personal choice. To me, it seems just a little easier to understand, and the sound is a little nicer. You are not a beginner any more, so there are other elements to consider--not just grammatical rules. You must consider the beauty, the music of the language now, not just the grammatical skeleton. You know this in your own language, but it is hard to hear in a new language. For instance, it took me many years to be able to discern such things in Spanish, the language of the country where I live. Everything sounded the same, like a machine gun: Ra-ta-ta-ta-ta-ta...and everything sounded insipid, with no difference in texture. Now I can hear the different textures and the gamut of emotional charge that words possess.

It is important to be sure that your reader/listener will be able to distinguish perfectly, exactly what it is that you want to say. George Orwell was one of the greatest writers of prose in the English language. Here are his six rules of good writing:

(i) Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.

(ii) Never use a long word where a short one will do.

(iii) If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.

(iv) Never use the passive where you can use the active.

(v) Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

(vi) Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.

Now back to your original question, and my thought process in choosing a "that" clause. More than anything else, it has to do with collocation. You can read about that at https://www.englishclub.com/vocabulary/collocations.htm. Oxford University's dictionary of collocations is at http://oxforddictionary.so8848.com/.

After reading about collocation, I hope you will understand when I say that your options simply did not feel comfortable to me. The "that" clause was more comfortable because it sounds more the way native speakers ordinarily speak. However, you will notice that Orwell advises us to use fresh metaphors and similes in our writing. One seeks balance and equilibrium...

I don't know if all this makes any sense at all to you. Again, you are not a beginner, so we are exploring areas you will not find in most textbooks. Please consider this as a salute to your fine mind.

All the best!
Prof. Evona York  

English as a Second Language

Prof. Evona York, UABC