English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.In recent months, there have been quite a few suicides in Japan.

(1.) Does it mean the same if I replace “in recent months” with “over the past few months”?

(2.) Does it have the same meaning if I say, “…there have been a rash/string of suicides in Japan”? What is the difference?

2.Some people attribute this phenomenon to the country’s high unemployment rate and political chaos.

(1.) Can I leave out “phenomenon” in the sentence?
(2.)What is another way to rephrase the sentence?

“Some people ascribe this phenomenon to the country’s high unemployment rate and political chaos.”
“Some people blame the country’s high unemployment rate and political chaos for such a phenomenon”?

Or what else?

3.However, whatever the reason, killing oneself is definitely not a solution to any problems.

(1.) In the sentence, my say also, “whatever the reason is…” or “whatever the reason it is…”?
(2.) In the sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “definitely” with “absolutely” or “certainly”?

(3.) What is another way to say “Killing oneself is definitely not a solution to any problems”?

“Killing oneself is definitely not an option/alternative/answer to any problems”?
“Killing oneself is definitely not a way out of any problems”?

4. Suicide is a coward’s way out.

(1.)Should I change “a” to “the” in the sentence? What is the difference?
(2.) What is another way to rephrase the sentence? “Suicide is a coward’s way of escaping reality and avoid problems”?

5. Nothing is more stupid than committing suicide. Therefore, whenever we feel depressed, we should bear the saying in mind: “If winter comes, can spring be far behind?”

What is another way to say “we should bear this saying in mind”?

“We should keep this saying in mind”?
“We should remember this saying”?
“We should learn this (saying) by heart”?

Answer

(1.) Does it mean the same if I replace “in recent months” with “over the past few months”? yes

(2.) Does it have the same meaning if I say, “…there have been a rash/string of suicides in Japan”? yes
What is the difference? none

(1.) Can I leave out “phenomenon” in the sentence? yes

“Some people ascribe this phenomenon to the country’s high unemployment rate and political chaos.” yes
“Some people blame the country’s high unemployment rate and political chaos for such a phenomenon”? yes

Or what else? Some think that the country's high unemployment rate and political chaos are responsible for this (phenomenon).

(1.) In the sentence, my say also, “whatever the reason is…” better yet, "whatever the reason may be"
or “whatever the reason it is…”? no
(2.) In the sentence, does it mean the same if I replace “definitely” with “absolutely” or “certainly”? yes to certainly, absolutely doesn't sound right here.

“Killing oneself is definitely not an option/alternative/answer to any problems”? yes
“Killing oneself is definitely not a way out of any problems”? yes

4. Suicide is a coward’s way out.

(1.)Should I change “a” to “the” in the sentence? What is the difference? Yes you can; no significant difference
(2.) What is another way to rephrase the sentence? “Suicide is a coward’s way of escaping reality and avoid problems”? sure

“We should keep this saying in mind”? yes
“We should remember this saying”? yes
“We should learn this (saying) by heart”? no

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker