English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.Over the past 30 years, the greenhouse effect has exerted a significant influence across the world.

(1.)   In the sentence, what can be taken in place of “exerted” or “exerted a significant influence”?

I had worked at a bank before I became a teacher.

(2.) In the sentence, what is the difference if I leave out “had”?

2. Nearly everything that’s alive today has its origin in the common bacteria.

(1.) In the sentence, may I leave out “the” before “common”?

(2.) What is another way to say the sentence? “Nearly everything that’s alive today has its root in the common bacteria”?

3.Success calls for hard work.
The problem calls for immediate action.

(1.) Can I replace “calls for” with “requires” in each of the sentences above?

Most coughs are viral in origin.

(2.) In the sentence, may I say, “Most coughs have their origins in viruses”?

4. Cable TV has become so popular in most households that some people cannot do away with it.

(1.) In the sentence, what can be taken in place of “cannot do away with it”?

Even in the same person, tolerance of pain may vary with circumstances and psychological states.

(2.) In the sentence, may I say also, “Even in the same person, reactions to pain may be different depending on the circumstances and psychological states.”?

5.A good massage helps reduce the tension in the muscles.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “tension”?  “Stress” or “pressure”?

Taiwan’s high-speed rail service made its debut in 2007.

(2.) In the sentence, does it mean if I say, “Taiwan’s high-speed rail service was first opened/operated in 2007”?

Answer

I'd say "had" instead of "exerted" and "huge" instead of "significant"

(2.) In the sentence, what is the difference if I leave out “had”? none

(1.) In the sentence, may I leave out “the” before “common”? yes

Most living things today have evolved from bacteria.

3.Success calls for hard work.
The problem calls for immediate action.

(1.) Can I replace “calls for” with “requires” in each of the sentences above? yes

Most coughs are viral in origin.

(2.) In the sentence, may I say, “Most coughs have their origins in viruses”? it would sound very odd and unnatural.

(1.) In the sentence, what can be taken in place of “cannot do away with it”? "can't live without it"

(2.) In the sentence, may I say also, “Even in the same person, reactions to pain may be different depending on the circumstances and psychological states.”? you could say that, but the meaning won't be the same.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “tension”?  “Stress” or “pressure”? You shouldn't replace "tension" here.

(2.) In the sentence, does it mean if I say, “Taiwan’s high-speed rail service was first opened/operated in 2007”? yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker