English as a Second Language/question

Question
Hi
1.I know that these two sentences are correct I have bought a shirt that is suitable for special occasions.
I bought a shirt that was suitable for special occasions.
How about this one, is it correct?I have bought a shirt that was suitable for special occasions.

2.Are  these sentences correct.please correct them if they are not.
I have read the book which you gave to me.
I have read the book that you have given me.
I have played football, now I am tired.
I have been playing football, now I am tired.
It has rained, now the streets are wet.
It has been raining all day long, now the streets are wet.
I have waited for you for 2 hours, now I am tired.

3. Are these two sentences correct?if so what is the difference, when should I use them.
I have waited for you for 3 hours.
I have been waiting for you for 3 hours

Answer
Hello Dan,

and thank you for your questions

1.I know that these two sentences are correct

I have bought a shirt that is suitable for special occasions. correct
Am I to understand that the shirt is no longer suitable for special occasion? Otherwise I see no reason for you to use the past tense "was"
How about this one, is it correct? I have bought a shirt that was suitable for special occasions. Again, see above. Unless the shirt is somehow no longer suitable for special occasions, I see no reason for saying "was suitable" instead of "is suitable"

I'd rephrase both to read: I have read the book you gave me.

I have played football, now I am tired. OK
I have been playing football, now I am tired. OK
It has rained, now the streets are wet. OK
It has been raining all day long, now the streets are wet. OK
I have waited for you for 2 hours, now I am tired. OK

I have waited for you for 3 hours.
I have been waiting for you for 3 hours

The correct sentence is the second one, where the verb tense is the Present Perfect Continuous. We use the Present Perfect Continuous to show that something started in the past and has continued up until now. "for three hours" is a duration which requires the use of the Present Perfect Continuous.
When you use the Present Perfect tense, you shouldn't be using expressions of times such as "for three hours", "since Monday", "for a week" etc, as you need to use unspecific expressions such as: ever, never, once, many times, several times, before, so far, already, yet.

See more about the Present Perfect vs the Present Perfect Continuous by checking the links below.

http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/presentperfect.html
http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/presentperfectcontinuous.html

I hope this is helpful.

If anything of the above is unclear to you, feel free to follow up. I'll be more than happy to try to clarify things for you.

Best,

~Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker