English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.The airline is loading the baggage into the plane while passengers are waiting to board.

(1.)In the sentence, may I say “The airlines is/are loading…” or what can be taken in place of “the airline”?

Some bags are on the baggage carousel.

(2.)Does it mean the same if I leave out “baggage”?

2.The man with a balaclava and mitten is pulling weeds in the garden.

(1.) What is the difference if I replace “balaclava” with “ski mask”?

A herd of cattle is eating grass.

(2.) Does it still take the singular verb “is” if I change the subject to “twenty head of cattle”?

3.The room is very messy.

(1.)Does it mean the same if I say, “The room is in a big mess” or “the room is very untidy”?

The shoes displayed for sale are tied by zip ties with labels.

(2.) In the second, does it mean the same if I say “The shoes with zip tie labels are displayed for sale.”?

4.M: Do you know who called while I was out?
 W: Yes, Mr. Peterson left you a message.

(1.) In the conversation, may I also respond, “Yes, I took a message from Mr. Peterson”?

M: What presentation did you go to at the conference?
W: I didn’t go to any, actually.

(2.)In the conversation, what can be taken in place of “presentation”?  “Lecture” or “talk”?

5. M: The sales manager resigned today even though the boss tried to keep him on.

W: We will need to recruit someone soon.

(1.) In the conversation, what is another way to say “even though the boss tried to keep him on”?
(2.) In the conversation, may I also respond, "We will need to look for/find someone soon"?

Answer
1.The airline is loading the baggage into the plane while THE passengers are waiting to board.

(1.)In the sentence, may I say “The airlines is/are loading…” or what can be taken in place of “the airline”? You can't use the plural here as each plane is operated by one airline.

Some bags are on the baggage carousel.

(2.)Does it mean the same if I leave out “baggage”? It may sound ambiguous... people may think you're thinking of a circus or amusement park carousel.

(1.) What is the difference if I replace “balaclava” with “ski mask”? none; also I assume it's "Mittens" plural

A herd of cattle is eating grass.

(2.) Does it still take the singular verb “is” if I change the subject to “twenty head of cattle”? no

3.The room is very messy.

Yes, but the correct sentence would be "The room is a big mess."

(2.) In the second, does it mean the same if I say “The shoes with zip tie labels are displayed for sale.”? I think not. I've never heard of "zip tie labels"  If you must rewrite it, then perhaps: "The shoes with labeled zip ties are on dysplay for sale." but Id stick to the original.

(1.) In the conversation, may I also respond, “Yes, I took a message from Mr. Peterson”? yes

W: I didn’t go to any, actually.

(2.)In the conversation, what can be taken in place of “presentation”?  “Lecture” or “talk”? Yes, even though some may argue that presentations are different from lectures or talks. I'd stick to "presentation"

(1.) In the conversation, what is another way to say “even though the boss tried to keep him on”?  Even though the boss tried to change his mind.
(2.) In the conversation, may I also respond, "We will need to look for/find someone soon"? Yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker