English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.A shower lasting two hours this afternoon relieved a long drought in the Greater Taipei Area.

(1.)   In the sentence, may I leave out “lasting” and say “A shower for two hours this afternoon relieved…” or “A two-hour shower this afternoon relieved…”?  

(2.)   What is another way to say “relieved a long drought in the Greater Taipei Area”?

“Eased a long drought in….” or “pulled the Greater Taipei Area out of a long drought”?

(3.)   May I write “Greater” and “Area” in lowercase? “the greater Taipei area”?

2.The Taiwan Water Company announced a postponement of the second stage of water rationing.

In the sentence, may I say also, “…announced a delay in the second stage of water rationing” or “…announced its postponing/putting off the second stage of water rationing”?

3.Toward noon, the sky became overcast. Around one o’clock, it began to pour.

(1.)What is another way to say “Toward noon”? “Around noon” or “Near noon”?

(2.)What is another way to say “it began to pour”? “It started to rain very hard”, “It began to downpour” or “A downpour started”?

4.Although many people were running for shelter, they were all pleased and said that the rain came in the nick of time.

(1.)   What is another way to say “were running for shelter”?

(2.)   What can be taken in place of “pleased” and “in the nick of time”?

5. I worked overtime for the last two weekends straight.

(1.)   In the sentence, should I use the present perfect tense? What is the difference?

(2.)   Does the sentence mean the same if I leave out “straight”?

(3.)   In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say “I worked extra hours for…” or “I worked late for…”?

Answer

(1.)   In the sentence, may I leave out “lasting” and say “A shower for two hours this afternoon relieved…” this won't work for me
or “A two-hour shower this afternoon relieved…”?  yes to this one

“Eased a long drought in….” or “pulled the Greater Taipei Area out of a long drought”? either one

(3.)   May I write “Greater” and “Area” in lowercase? “the greater Taipei area”? yes

In the sentence, may I say also, “…announced a delay in the second stage of water rationing” or “…announced its postponing/putting off the second stage of water rationing”? yes

(1.)What is another way to say “Toward noon”? “Around noon” yes
or  “Near noon”? no

(2.)What is another way to say “it began to pour”? “It started to rain very hard”, “It began to downpour” or “A downpour started”? yes to all

(1.)   What is another way to say “were running for shelter”? were taking cover

(2.)   What can be taken in place of “pleased” and “in the nick of time”? happy, right on time

(1.)   In the sentence, should I use the present perfect tense? What is the difference? Not necessarily, no difference really.

(2.)   Does the sentence mean the same if I leave out “straight”? yes

(3.)   In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say “I worked extra hours for…” or “I worked late for…”? yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker