English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.
On my next vacation, I plan to see the sights in London.

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also “plan to go sightseeing in London” or “I plan to sightsee in London”?

The main purpose of this itinerary is to publicize a short tour.

(2.) In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say “…is to notify the tour group of a  short tour”?

2.We leave early, passing the romantic ruins of Jedburgh Abbey as we cross into Scotland.

(1.)In the sentence, may I say also, “We leave early to cross into Scotland through the romantic ruins of Jedburgh Abbey.”?

In our country, a president has the right to designate a vice president and a prime minister.
All our employees should park their cars in the designated areas or spaces.

(2.)What can be taken in place of “designate” in the first sentence and “designated” in the second?  “Appoint” and “assigned”?

3.Can you help me edit my essay?

(1.)What can be taken in place of “edit”? “Proofread” or “revise”?

I went to the art exhibition of Picasso today with my friends.

(2.)In the sentence, may I say also, “I went to the Picasso exhibition today with my friends”?

4.Please complete the attached application form.

(1.)What is the difference if I replace “attached” with “enclosed”?

Working hours must not exceed 42 hours a week.
The car reached speeds in excess of 100 miles per hour.

(2.)May I say “must not be in excess of 42 hours..”in the fist sentence and “reached speeds that exceeded 100 miles…” in the second?

5,I won’t be able to conduct your annual performance review at 10:30 next Monday because I have a doctor’s appointment at the same time that I can’t reschedule.

(1.)   Does “review” refer to “review meeting”?
(2.)   What can be taken in place of “reschedule”? “rearrange” or “change”?

Answer
1.

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also “plan to go sightseeing in London” or “I plan to sightsee in London”? yes

(2.) In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say “…is to notify the tour group of a  short tour”? yes

(1.)In the sentence, may I say also, “We leave early to cross into Scotland through the romantic ruins of Jedburgh Abbey.”? yes

(2.)What can be taken in place of “designate” in the first sentence and “designated” in the second?  “Appoint” and “assigned”? appoint and assign work for the first sentence, assigned works for the second one

3.Can you help me edit my essay?

(1.)What can be taken in place of “edit”? “Proofread” or “revise”? You could use either, but proofreading and editing are not 100% synonyms. Some call proofreading is the last "stage" of editing. For the purposes of the sentence above though "proofread" should work.

(2.)In the sentence, may I say also, “I went to the Picasso exhibition today with my friends”? the original sounds unnatural, this second version is much better

(1.)What is the difference if I replace “attached” with “enclosed”?  they're not synonyms.

Enclosed implies the idea of something being in an envelope, or within a body of text. Attached on the other hand means separate, joined/added to (with a staple or paper clip).
If this is e-mail lingo, you should use enclosed if the document/application is inside the body of the e-mail message, and attached if the document is added as an attachment.

(2.)May I say “must not be in excess of 42 hours..”in the fist sentence and “reached speeds that exceeded 100 miles…” in the second? yes

(1.)    Does “review” refer to “review meeting”? yes
(2.)    What can be taken in place of “reschedule”? “rearrange” or “change”? I'd stick to reschedule.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker