English as a Second Language/expressing past tense

Question
hello ma'am.recently icame across a paragraph in which 'would' had been used to describe past behaviour. The paragraph was:
Everyday it would be up on its feet with a mere prod from his mahout.it would then walk to the pond and allow the mahout to wash and scrub it.back at the shed,it would eat sugarcane ,jaggery and fruits.Then it would let the mahout apply vibhuti and sandal paste on its forehead and trunk.then it would kneel and allow the cloth to be thrown over it and a mound placed on its back.once ready,it would walk to the temple gopurum and wait with the mahout till the priests' call came.
i wish to combine these sentencesto answer a question:what was the elephants daily routine? .is it possible to do it without repeating would(if i want to use would)?also,can i replace would with past tense verbs?this is not an assignment/h.w. question.i was just practising writing answers so wanted to clear this query.thank you.

Answer
Everyday it would be up on its feet with a mere prod from his mahout. It would then walk to the pond and allow the mahout to wash and scrub it. Back at the shed,it would eat sugar cane,jaggery and fruits. Then it would let the mahout apply vibhuti and sandal paste on its forehead and trunk. Then it would kneel and allow the cloth to be thrown over it and a mound placed on its back. Once ready,it would walk to the temple gopurum and wait with the mahout till the priests' call came.

I wish to combine these sentences to answer a question: "What was the elephant's daily routine?" Is it possible to do it without repeating would(if I want to use would)? Also,can I replace would with Past Tense verbs?

Hello Anabell,

This is a bit confusing for me, but I'll give it a try...

Would is used to describe past routine activities, so you are already dealing with a past tense ("would" is the past tense of "will").

You could absolutely combine some of these sentences. I assume you don't want to combine all of the above into just one sentence though. Doing that would generate a run on sentence, and we avoid those in English. As far as repeating "would"... that might happen.

How about, you combine those sentences so that I get a better understanding of what you have in mind, and send the text back to me?

Another aspect - please check your punctuation and spelling before submitting a question as it's otherwise making the text very difficult to follow.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

Best,

~A

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker