English as a Second Language/question

Question
Hi Amy,
Hope you are fine. Can you please help me to understand this part of a sentence?
In the following paragraph, “for richer, for poorer, for better, or for worse” makes me confused, and I don't know what does author mean by it. "For" is most confusing here. Is it interpreted as "in favor of" or "whether" or what? I know all the rest. Just this "for richer, for poorer, for better, or for worse" and "sometimes means richer, sometimes poorer, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse".

This is the context:

As an analytical word, interdependence refers to situations in which actors or events in different parts of a system affect each other. Simply put, interdependence means mutual dependence. Such a situation is neither good nor bad in itself, and there can be more or less of it. In personal relations, interdependence is summed up by the marriage vow in which each partner is interdependent with another “for richer, for poorer, for better, or for worse.” And interdependence among countries sometimes means richer, sometimes poorer, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. In the eighteenth century, Jean-Jacques Rousseau pointed out that along with interdependence comes friction and conflict.

Answer
Hi Azad,

"for richer for poorer, for better, or for worse" simply means, no matter what the future might bring (be it riches, or poverty, good times or bad times).

In other words, interdependence means that if one of the people/countries in the relationship is going through a good time, the other(s) is/are there too, and they're both celebrating, if one of them is going through a rough period instead, the other(s) is/are there to help, and support the less fortunate one.

Feel free to follow up with me if you still need help with this.

Best,

~Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker