English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1. The problems the president and his party are having when trying to pass this legislation through Congress mostly involve “the bottom line.” Who will end up paying for this massive increase in public health service? Especially during the current recession, this is creating many criticisms of Obama’s huge and costly plan.

(1.)What is meant by “the bottom line”in the first sentence?

(2.)In the sentence, may I replace “criticisms” with “attacks” or “bashing”?

2.Since his inauguration as the 44th president of the United States in January 2009, Obama has tried to reform the health care system.

(1.)In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say “Since he took office as…” or “since he took the oath of office as…”?

With the president’s reputation on the line, it will be interesting to see what health plan eventually comes out of the U.S. Congress.

(2.)What is another way to say “on the line” or “with the president’s reputation on the line”?

3. The teacher marked the student’s paper at home and then brought it to the class, but the student didn’t show up to get it back.

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also “…and then brought it back to the student, but he didn’t show up for the class”?

HTML is an abbreviation for Hypertext Markup Language.
TOEFL is an acronym for the Test of English as a Foreign Language.

(2.)May I use “acronym” for “abbreviation” in the first sentence and “abbreviation” in the second? Do they mean the same?

4 . Our country has one of the best health care programs in the world and even foreigners who live here give it a thumbs up.

(1.)   Does it mean the same if I say “…even foreigners who live here rave about it”?

M: Why are you smoking again? You promised me to quit last time.
W: Well, it’s easier said than done.
  Well, to say is one thing and to do is another.

(2.)Are both responses acceptable in the conversation? Are they close in meaning?

5. The purpose of this paragraph is to itemize the president’s proposals.
  You should itemize the benefits and drawbacks of this machine.

Can I replace “itemize” with “list” in each of the sentences? What is the difference?

Answer

(1.)What is meant by “the bottom line”in the first sentence? the grand total (or as the next sentence states, who will end up paying for the services?)

(2.)In the sentence, may I replace “criticisms” with “attacks” or “bashing”? yes to attacks, not really to bashing.

(1.)In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say “Since he took office as…” or “since he took the oath of office as…”? yes

(2.)What is another way to say “on the line” or “with the president’s reputation on the line”? "at risk"

(1.) In the sentence, may I say also “…and then brought it back to the student, but he didn’t show up for the class”? yes

(2.)May I use “acronym” for “abbreviation” in the first sentence and “abbreviation” in the second? Do they mean the same? there is a lot of overlap between the two terms so I guess you can use them interchangeably.

(1.)    Does it mean the same if I say “…even foreigners who live here rave about it”? yes

W: Well, it’s easier said than done.

(2.)Are both responses acceptable in the conversation? Are they close in meaning? yes and yes

Can I replace “itemize” with “list” in each of the sentences? What is the difference? yes you can, no difference as they're synonyms.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker