English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.
Ann is making a reservation for dinner at an Italian restaurant.

(1.)Does it mean the same if I replace “making a reservation” with “making a booking”?

He is examining a car.

(2.) What can be taken in place of “examining”? “Inspecting” , “checking” or “taking a look at”?

2. There are some trees at/in the lake.

(1.) Does the sentence imply that the trees are above or under the lake? Or either is possible?

The boat is sailing on the lake.

(2.) How do I describe it if there are some tourists on the boat?
“The tourists are sailing on the lake” or “the tourists are taking a boat on the lake”?

3. She is dressed in black.

(1.) In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say “She is wearing black clothes” or “She is wearing black”?

A flock of birds are resting on the tree.
She is resting her chin on her hand.

(2. ) Does “resting” in the first sentence have the same meaning as the one in the second? Is there another word for “resting”?

4. It’s light outside.
(1.) What is another way to say the sentence?

Don’t lean on the door when you are on MRT.

(2. ) In the sentence, may I change “on” to “against”?

5. Don’t lean out of the window on the bus.

(1.) Does it mean the same if I leave out “of”?

(2.) How do I describe it if I see a woman pouring herself a cup of coffee from a coffee machine?

“ She is making a drink”,  “ She is using a coffee machine.” or “ She is trying to get a drink.”?

Answer
1.

(1.)Does it mean the same if I replace “making a reservation” with “making a booking”? it wouldn't sound too natural.
I'd rephrase: Ann is making a dinner reservation at an Italian restaurant.

He is examining a car.

(2.) What can be taken in place of “examining”? “Inspecting” , “checking” or “taking a look at”? Either one.

2. There are some trees at/in the lake.

"in" means the trees are in the lake (roots at the bottom of the lake)
"at" doesn't make much sense here.
"by" would mean the trees are near the lake

Either way that's an odd sentence above.

The boat is sailing on the lake.

There are some tourists on the boat sailing the lake.

“The tourists are sailing on the lake” or “the tourists are taking a boat on the lake”? see above

3. She is dressed in black.

(1.) In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say “She is wearing black clothes” or “She is wearing black”? yes

She is resting her chin on her hand.

(2. ) Does “resting” in the first sentence have the same meaning as the one in the second? not really.
Resting in the first can mean they're sleeping, taking a break from flying etc. Resting in the second means "supported by"
Is there another word for “resting”? Depending on the context there are many synonyms for resting.

4. It’s light outside.
(1.) What is another way to say the sentence? What do you mean by "It's light outside"?

(2. ) In the sentence, may I change “on” to “against”? yes, "against" is probably better

(1.) Does it mean the same if I leave out “of”? yes

She's getting a coffee from the machine.

“ She is making a drink”,  “ She is using a coffee machine.” or “ She is trying to get a drink.”? None of these would work for the situation above.

In current speech we use "drink" as above mostly for alcoholic drinks.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker