English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.Don’t be distracted by false accounts or unsupportive assumptions.

(1.)What is another way to say “false accounts” and “unsupportive”?
  There is a telephone in the right corner of the room.

(2.)Does it mean the same if I say, “In the room, there is a telephone in the corner on the right.”?

2.The people are sitting in chairs in a circle.

(1.)What is the difference if I replace “sitting” with “seated”?
  The tennis players are competing in a match.

(2.)What is another way to say “competing in a match”? “Playing in a match” ,“playing a match” or “having a competition”?

3.He is putting something into the trunk.

(1.)Does it mean the same if I say, “He is loading the trunk” or “He is loading the car”?

The cars are parked in a row.
  The cars are parked side by side.

(2.)Do both mean the same?  I wonder if “in a row” could mean they are lined up end to end.

4. She is making the bed.

(1.)Does it mean the same if I say, “She is putting the sheets/covers on”?

The tennis players are swinging the rackets during a match.

(2.)What is the difference if I say “hitting the rackets” and “during a game” in the sentence?

5.There are small rectangular windows at the top of one side of the room and there is a carpet on the floor.

(1.)In the sentence, may I replace “small rectangular windows” with “transoms”? What do native speakers usually call “the small windows” at the top of a wall or “a small window” over a door?

(2.)In the sentence, may I say also, “The room has one side with small rectangular windows at the top and the floor is carpeted”?

Answer
Question:

(1.)What is another way to say “false accounts” and “unsupportive”? false accounts stays as is, unsupportive = unhelpful, discouraging

(2.)Does it mean the same if I say, “In the room, there is a telephone in the corner on the right.”? Yes but it won't sound natural

(1.)What is the difference if I replace “sitting” with “seated”? yes

(2.)What is another way to say “competing in a match”? “Playing in a match” ,“playing a match” or “having a competition”? either one

(1.)Does it mean the same if I say, “He is loading the trunk” or “He is loading the car”? no. Loading implies a large number of objects, a full trunk.

The cars are parked in a row.
 The cars are parked side by side.

(2.)Do both mean the same?  I wonder if “in a row” could mean they are lined up end to end. No way I can tell without a visual here. I'm tempted to say they don't mean the same

this would be a row of cars
http://l7.alamy.com/zooms/ff7e85b5d3ee4c378003c6ed51df39f7/row-of-cars-parked-in
and this would be cars parked side by side (which may sometimes be considered a row of cars... ) http://media.mnn.com/assets/images/2011/03/supercarrow.jpg.560x0_q80_crop-smart.

4. She is making the bed.

(1.)Does it mean the same if I say, “She is putting the sheets/covers on”? not necessarily. We usually say "make the bed"

(2.)What is the difference if I say “hitting the rackets” and “during a game” in the sentence? "hitting" wouldn't be correct.

this is swinging http://gonzotennis.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/racquet-swing.jpg never heard of it as "hitting"

(1.)In the sentence, may I replace “small rectangular windows” with “transoms”? yes
What do native speakers usually call “the small windows” at the top of a wall or “a small window” over a door? A transom, only that architectural feature isn't very common around here

(2.)In the sentence, may I say also, “The room has one side with small rectangular windows at the top and the floor is carpeted”? it sounds odd

Hope this helps.

~Amy  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker