English as a Second Language/Ambiguity

Question
Hi Amy
This sentence confused me and hope to see a clear response (as always) from you:

Enough of the world’s commerce takes place with developing nations that leaving them out of the rules- based system would render the system unworkable and ultimately, that would impoverish everyone.

Answer
Hi Hossein

I hope I haven't kept you waiting too long - sometimes my notifications for the new questions end up in my spam folder .. odd

Here's a rephrased version of the above:

There is a lot of commerce with the developing nations, so if these nations were to be left out, it would be a bad idea, and all parties involved would lose (money). That's because of the way the system works, and the way the rules of the system are set.

Let me know if that answers your question.

Looking forward to hearing from you.

~Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker