English as a Second Language/Poor

How are you? 
Long time no hear!

I have a question about choosing the better word. 

Which one fits the following context? a) or b)? Please explain your reasons.

"Last December, before work, I stopped at a deli and ordered an everything bagel with cream cheese. It was toasty warm, and I couldn’t wait to dig in. But as I left the store, I noticed an older ............. gentleman sitting at the bus stop. Knowing it would probably be his only warm meal of the day, I gave him the bagel.

A) poor
B) indigent

Thank you

Hi Hamed,

the two words "poor" and "indigent" are synonyms so you can use either one of them.

If you are trying to be politically correct, you may want to use "indigent" but in all honesty that's not something you'll hear much in every day conversations between native speakers.

Hope this helps.

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker

I can answer question about grammar, spelling, syntax, idioms, reading and/or writing that pertain to English as a Second Language. I am knowledgeable about both TOEFL and IELTS.

I'm a certified ESL teacher with 12 years of experience teaching K-12 and adults.

BSc MEd TESL post grad program for k-12 TESL post grad program for adult ed