English as a Second Language/Use of quite with a bit ,few and a lot

Question
I've a hard time understanding some definitions or use of 'quite' from cambridge dictionery . The definition or use of 'quite' are as followings :

1.Quite a bit , quite a few, quite a lot:

We often use quite with a bit , a few and a lot to refer to large amounts and quantities:
*You should ask Mez for some advice. He knows quite a bit about gardening.(i'm not understanding:  if he knows much or less about gardening, because' a bit ' has been  used here.)

*.We bought quite a lot of new furniture, didn’t we?
*Yeah , quite a bit .  ( Do 'quite a lot'  and 'quite a bit' give same meanings ? Does 'quite a bit ' means 'very little ' ?

*There were quite a few of us at the meeting. (What 'quite a few 'means ?) Does it mean 'very little' ?

2.We also use quite a bit and quite a lot to mean ‘often’:
*Do you come here quite a bit?( Do 'quite a bit' 'quite a lot ' and quit a few'  give same meanings in this context?  If No why ?

I used to go sailing quite a lot. Can we use 'quite a bit ' and 'quite a few ' here  without changing the meaning of this sentence ?

3.Quite + a lot /a bit + comparatives
We often use quite a lot and quite a bit with a comparative adjective or adverb to mean ‘much’:

*We went to Italy when I was quite a bit younger . (Can we use' quite a lot' and 'quite a few' here without changing the meaning of the sentence?  )

*The new truck is quite a lot heavier than the old model. (Can we use' quite a bit ' and 'quite a few ' here without changing the meaning of sentence?  )

Answer

He knows a lot about gardening (as you see in the definition above, quite a bit/a few/a lot refers to large amounts/quantities.

Quite a bit and quite a lot here mean the same thing - they bought a lot of new furniture

*There were quite a few of us at the meeting. (What 'quite a few 'means ?) Does it mean 'very little' ? It means many, a lot.

*Do you come here quite a bit?( Do 'quite a bit' 'quite a lot ' and quit a few'  give same meanings in this context?  If No why ?  Quite a lot is an appropriate substitute for "quite a bit" but "quite a few" can't be used here as it doesn't mean "often"

Again, just like above, quite a lot can be replaced by quite a lot, but not by quite a few.

Note that according to the definition, "quite a bit" and "quite a lot" can be used interchangeably, but not "quite a few"

3.Quite + a lot /a bit + comparatives

*We went to Italy when I was quite a bit younger . (Can we use' quite a lot' and 'quite a few' here without changing the meaning of the sentence?  ) Yes to quite a lot, no to quite a few

*The new truck is quite a lot heavier than the old model. (Can we use' quite a bit ' and 'quite a few ' here without changing the meaning of sentence?  ) Again, yes to quite a bit bot no to quite a few.

I hope this answers your question, Yubraj.

Looking forward to more of your interesting questions.

Best,

~Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker