English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.A number of issues were raised at the meeting.

(1.)   What can be taken in place of “a number of” and “raised”? “Some” and “mentioned” or “presented”?

The use of cell phones is prohibited during the meeting.

(2.) In the sentence, may I say, “Cell phones are prohibited during the meeting”? Does it mean the same?

2.News of the merger was well received.

(1.) What is another way to say “well received” or what does it mean?

How much money is in our savings account?

(2.) Does it mean the same if I say, “What is the balance of our savings account?”?

3.The police were investigating the company for fraud.

(1.)In the sentence, may I say, “The people were investigating the company’s fraud.”? Does it mean the same?

The class was dismissed early because of the typhoon.

(2.)What is another way to say “The class was dismissed early”?

4.Why are you advertising for new staff?

(1.)Does the sentence imply that the act of advertising is happening around now? Does it mean the same if I say, ‘Why do you advertise for new staff”?

It was the first time the creative team had met since January, so there was a lot to discuss.

(2.) Does it mean the same if I say, “The creative team had met for the first time since January…”?  Should I leave out “had” and say “The creative met for the first time…”?

5.When we arrived at the station, the train had already left.
When I called Brendon last night, he still hadn’t finished his work.

May I replace “when” with “by the time” in each of the sentences? What is the difference?

Answer

(1.)    What can be taken in place of “a number of” and “raised”? “Several” and “brought up”

(2.) In the sentence, may I say, “Cell phones are prohibited during the meeting”? Does it mean the same? I'd stick to the first version or say "Cell phones should be off during the meeting"

2.News of the merger was well received.

(1.) What is another way to say “well received” or what does it mean? No other way to say unless you rephrase the whole thing to read "People were happy to hear about the merger"

(2.) Does it mean the same if I say, “What is the balance of our savings account?”? yes

(1.)In the sentence, may I say, “The people were investigating the company’s fraud.”? it may be ambiguous
Does it mean the same? no

(2.)What is another way to say “The class was dismissed early”? The students were sent home early

(1.)Does the sentence imply that the act of advertising is happening around now? yes
Does it mean the same if I say, ‘Why do you advertise for new staff”? yes

(2.) Does it mean the same if I say, “The creative team had met for the first time since January…”?  yes, but why the past perfect?  Should I leave out “had” and say “The creative met for the first time…”? I would

May I replace “when” with “by the time” in each of the sentences? What is the difference? yes you can, no difference  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker