English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.I usually bring my towel and thermos when I go to the gym.

(1.) In the sentence, may I say, “I usually go to the gym with my towel and thermos”?

The LOHAS market has attracted 41 out of 215 million adult Americans to date.

(2.) What is another way to say “to date”? “Until today”?

2.One good rule of thumb is to start with baby steps, which can be more easily adapted to fit into one’s current lifestyle as well as gradually increased and developed. The following are some easy pointers for those who are interested starting on the path to a healthy LOHAS lifestyle.

(1.)In the first sentence, what can be taken in place of “baby steps” and “easily adapted to”?

“Small steps” and “easily adjusted to”?

(2.) In the second, what is another way to say “pointers” and “starting on the path to LOHAs lifestyle”?
“Tips” and “Starting the process of living a LOHAS lifestyle”?

3.   By doing so, consumers can help reduce the 1.5 million tons of plastic waste per year from just bottled water alone, thereby reducing the 47 million gallon of oil per year that is needed to produce the plastic bottles.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “thereby”?  “Thus”, “therefore” or “so”?

Nearly 23 million bags can be salvaged if everyone on the island brings reusable bags to the grocery store.

(2.) What can be taken in place of “salvaged”? “Saved”?

4. Computers account for one third of the company’s sales.

(1.) In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “Computers contribute to one third of the company’s sales”?

Bats’ often weird or even ugly appearance adds to the superstitions about and ignorance of them.

(2.) In the sentence, what can be taken in place of “appearance” and “adds to”?
“Looks” and “contributes to”?

5.The school has the reputation in Taiwan for its top-notch students and prestigious
professors.

(1.)What can be taken in place of “top-notch”?  “Outstanding” or “excellent”?

The flash and animation add to the appeal and variation of your website.

(2.) In the sentence, may I replace ‘variation” with “versatility”? What is the difference?

Answer

(1.) In the sentence, may I say, “I usually go to the gym with my towel and thermos”? You could but it would sound unnatural.

(2.) What is another way to say “to date”? “Until today”? yes or until now

“Small steps” and “easily adjusted to”? yes to small steps, but I'd say "easily tailored/modified to"

“Tips” and “Starting the process of living a LOHAS lifestyle”? those works fine

(1.) What can be taken in place of “thereby”?  “Thus”, “therefore” or “so”? thus and therefore

(2.) What can be taken in place of “salvaged”? “Saved”? more like reclaimed, but save works too

(1.) In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “Computers contribute to one third of the company’s sales”? No. Account for means "represent"

“Looks” and “contributes to”? yes to looks, but I'd stick to "adds to"  which here means "increase/expand"

professors.

(1.)What can be taken in place of “top-notch”?  “Outstanding” or “excellent”? either

(2.) In the sentence, may I replace ‘variation” with “versatility”? What is the difference? I guess you could, but I'd stick to the original.  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker