English as a Second Language/next day / the next day/tomorrow/the following day

Question
Hello.

I am confused about the use of these adverbials of time:

a) Next day.
b) The next day.
c) Tomorrow.
d) The following day.

I would be grateful to you for all your help about this topic.

Answer
Hello!

The use of these depends on when you are using them.

a) Next day.
YOU ARE NOT SPEAKING ABOUT TODAY, BUT ABOUT SOME OTHER DAY(ANY OTHER DAY). YOU ARE REFERRING TO THE DAY THAT COMES AFTER THE ONE YOU ARE SPEAKING ABOUT. Example: I had a test on Tuesday, and next day I got the results.

b) The next day.
THIS IS THE SAME. YOU ARE NOT SPEAKING ABOUT TODAY, BUT ABOUT SOME OTHER DAY (ANY OTHER DAY). YOU ARE REFERRING TO THE DAY THAT COMES AFTER THE ONE YOU ARE SPEAKING ABOUT. Examples: 1)I had a test on Tuesday, and the very next day I got the results. 2)I had a test on Tuesday, and I had to wait until the next day to get the results. 3)I had a test on Tuesday, and the next day was when I got the results.

c) Tomorrow.
YOU ARE SPEAKING TODAY, AND YOU ARE REFERRING TO THE DAY FOLLOWING THIS ONE.
Example: I had a test today, and tomorrow I will get the results.  

d) The following day.
YOU ARE NOT SPEAKING ABOUT TODAY, BUT ABOUT SOME OTHER DAY (ANY OTHER DAY). YOU ARE REFERRING TO THE DAY THAT COMES AFTER THE ONE YOU ARE SPEAKING ABOUT. Examples: 1)I had a test on Tuesday, and the following day I got the results. 2)I had a test on Tuesday, and I had to wait until the following day to get the results. 3)I will have a test next Tuesday, and I will have to wait until the following day to know how I did on it.

THESAURUS.COM LISTS "NEXT" AND "FOLLOWING" AS SYNONYMS.

I HOPE THIS HELPS.

PROF. EVONA YORK

English as a Second Language

Prof. Evona York, UABC