English as a Second Language/Usage of the expression "keep up with the times"

Question
Hello Evona,
I hope all’s well with you. If you don’t mind, I have a question for you. I’m not sure if I’m using the expressions “Keep up with the times” and “fall behind the times” correctly in the following sentences. Also, can you say “catch up with the times”? In other words, are the following sentences grammatically correct and do they make sense?
1. You must learn how to use a computer if you want to keep up with the times.
2. If you don’t learn how to use a computer you will fall behind the times.
3. I’m not computer-literate. I’ve fallen behind the times.
4. I’m computer-literate. I’ve kept up with the times.
5. I’m learning how to use a computer so I can catch up with the times.
6. I’ve fallen behind the times. I decided to study English so I can catch up with the times.
7. I’ve fallen behind the times. I decided to study English so I can keep up with the times.
8. Studying English is the latest fad in China. I decided to study English so I can catch up with the times.
9. Studying English is the latest fad in China. I decided to study English so I can keep up with the times.

I’m so thankful to you for taking the time to help me. I hope you continue to be a volunteer on Allexperts.com for years to come.
Sincerely,
Glen Rosenthal

Answer
Hello,

All your sentences seem to be according to common usage today. You will find examples on the Internet. Idioms such as these change with the times.  For instance, calling something "groovy" was very popular in the 60s and 70s, but you will almost never hear it today.

I hope this helps.

Prof. Evona York

English as a Second Language

Prof. Evona York, UABC