English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.Some doctors believe that the frequency of the mobile phone can cause brain diseases over a long period of time. However there is no evidence supporting these claims.

(1.)What can be taken in place of “claims”?  “Statements “or “assertions”?

Some drivers like to talk on their mobile phones and drive at the same time. When they are talking on mobile phones, they cannot concentrate on driving and become___________. Then accidents can happen easily.

(2.)What can be filled in the blank? “Careless”, “reckless”,”preoccupied” or “distracted”?

2.In 1999, three gas station fires in Australia were supposedly caused by mobile phones. People ________ that the sparks produced by mobile batteries ignited the gas vapors and caused the fires. The stories were later found to be untrue. However, to be on the safe side, people should try to avoid using mobile phones at gas stations.

(1.)In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “…were thought/believed to be caused by mobile phones”?

(2.)What can be filled in the blank in the second sentence? “Feared”, “worried”, “suspected “or “speculated”?

(3.)In the last sentence, may I replace “to be on the safe side “with “for the sake of safety” or “to ensure safety”?

3. London is one of the most interesting cities in the world, but it is also one of the most expensive. Consequently, most tourists can only afford to stay a short time, but it is still possible to see a great deal on a small budget.

(1.)What can be taken in place of “consequently”? “Therefore”, “thus”, “for this reason” or “as a result of this”?

(2.)Does “see a great deal on a small budget” mean “see a lot without spending much”?

It is a good idea to make a detailed list of all the places you would like to visit, so you don’t miss out on anything of interest. Also, don’t forget to check the special deals that London Transport has to offer. It offers some great ways to save money.

(1.)What is another way to say “make a detailed list”? “Make a specific  list”?

(2.)May I replace “miss out on” with “miss”? Does it mean the same?

(3.)In the second, what can be taken in place of “deals”? “bargains” or “offers”?

This band is very popular, so book early or you will miss out.

In the sentence, may I say also, “book early to make sure you won’t miss out”?

Answer

(1.)What can be taken in place of “claims”?  “Statements “or “assertions”? either

Also the original sentence should read "Some doctors believe that the frequencies of mobile phones..."

I'd go with distracted here.

(1.)In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “…were thought/believed to be caused by mobile phones”? yes

(2.)What can be filled in the blank in the second sentence? “Feared”, “worried”, “suspected “or “speculated”? speculated or suspected

(3.)In the last sentence, may I replace “to be on the safe side “with “for the sake of safety” or “to ensure safety”? yes

(1.)What can be taken in place of “consequently”? “Therefore”, “thus”, “for this reason” or “as a result of this”? The second sentence here sounds odd so I'd rephrase the whole thing.

While most tourists can only afford short stays, they're still able to see a great deal on a small budget.

(2.)Does “see a great deal on a small budget” mean “see a lot without spending much”? yes

(1.)What is another way to say “make a detailed list”? detailed can be replaced by all-inclusive here.

(2.)May I replace “miss out on” with “miss”? Does it mean the same? no  miss out on means to fail the opportunity

(3.)In the second, what can be taken in place of “deals”? “bargains” or “offers”? offers

In the sentence, may I say also, “book early to make sure you won’t miss out”? yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker