English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.In recent years, there has been a sharp increase in reported acts of piracy in Taiwan, such as making illegal copies of music, movies and books. No matter what form it takes, piracy is considered stealing others’ works.

(1.)In the first sentence, what can be taken in place of “in recent years”? “For years” or “over the past few years”?

(2.)In the first sentence, may I replace “such as” with “including”?

(3.)In the first sentence, is it possible to say “there have been numerous reported cases of piracy in Taiwan, such as...”?

(4.) In the first sentence, may I leave out “making” and say “such as illegally copying music….”?

(5.) In the second sentence, may I say also, “no matter what form it comes in”? What is the difference?

(6.) In the second, may I replace “is considered” with “is often referred to as”? What is the difference?

(7.) In the second, may I say also, “piracy is considered the theft of works of others”or “piracy is considered the theft of others’ works”?

In addition to enacting laws against piracy, we as citizens should refuse to buy pirated goods and respect Intellectual Property Rights. This way, original works can be protected and artists can receive the respect and rewards they deserve.

(8.) In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “in addition to enacting legislation against piracy” or “in addition to enacting laws to crack down on piracy”?

(9.)In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say  “we as citizens should boycott pirated goods….” or “we as citizens should never buy pirated goods…”?

(10.) In the second sentence, may I say also, “This way, original works can be protected and can receive the respect and rewards they deserve” or “This way, we can protect original works and give their creators the respect and rewards they deserve”?

(11.)   What can be taken in place of “this way”?  “By doing so”?

Answer

(1.)In the first sentence, what can be taken in place of “in recent years”? “For years” or “over the past few years”? Either "over the past few years" or simply "recently"

(2.)In the first sentence, may I replace “such as” with “including”? yes

(3.)In the first sentence, is it possible to say “there have been numerous reported cases of piracy in Taiwan, such as...”? yes

(4.) In the first sentence, may I leave out “making” and say “such as illegally copying music….”? yes, in fact this is more natural sounding

(5.) In the second sentence, may I say also, “no matter what form it comes in”? What is the difference? no difference

(6.) In the second, may I replace “is considered” with “is often referred to as”? What is the difference? no major difference. you can use either one

(7.) In the second, may I say also, “piracy is considered the theft of works of others”or “piracy is considered the theft of others’ works”? The original sounds more natural. I'd stick to it.

(8.) In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say “in addition to enacting legislation against piracy” or “in addition to enacting laws to crack down on piracy”? Yes.

(9.)In the first sentence, does it mean the same if I say  “we as citizens should boycott pirated goods….” or “we as citizens should never buy pirated goods…”? yes

(10.) In the second sentence, may I say also, “This way, original works can be protected and can receive the respect and rewards they deserve” or “This way, we can protect original works and give their creators the respect and rewards they deserve”? I'd go with the second version here, even though both are correct.

(11.)    What can be taken in place of “this way”?  “By doing so”? yes, or "in doing do" or "thus"  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker