English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.Taiwan's economy has been depressed for years, and perhaps it will remain this way for a long time to come.

(1.) In the sentence, what can be taken in place of “depressed: and “remain this way”?

“has been suffering”, “ has been tough” and “continue the same trend”?

(2.)  In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “The economic recession in Taiwan has been going on for years, and maybe it will last for a long time to come”?

2.The exchange rate has dropped to a new low: The NT dollar now trades at 34.5 against one U.S. dollar.

(1.) What is another way to say “dropped” “a new low”?  “Slumped” and “a record low”?

(2.) What is another to way “The NT dollar trades at 34.5 against one U.S. dollar”?

3.The stock market is still weak. The devaluation of the NT dollar will hurt Taiwan’s exports because it will make imports more expensive and shrink the GDP. Meanwhile, it will make everybody’s purse leaner.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “weak” in the first sentence?

(2.)In the second, what can be taken in place of “hurt” and “shrink”?

(3.) In the third sentence, what is another way to say “it will make everybody’s purse leaner”?

4.To improve the situation, the government should encourage more foreign investment. It should also cut down on the number of foreign laborers so that more job opportunities are available to the locals.

(1.) In the first sentence, what can be taken in place of encourage?

(2.) In the first sentence, may I use the plural form of “investment”?

(3.) In the second, may I say also, “cut down on/reduce foreign laborers”? (leave out “the number of”?

(4.) What is another way to say “…so that more job opportunities are available to the locals”?

“So that more job opportunities will be offered/given to the locals” or “so that the locals will have more job opportunities” ?

Answer

“has been suffering”, “ has been tough” and “continue the same trend”? those sound good to me

(2.)  In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “The economic recession in Taiwan has been going on for years, and maybe it will last for a long time to come”? yes

(1.) What is another way to say “dropped” “a new low”?  “Slumped” and “a record low”? I'd stick to "dropped" but "record low" is OK

(2.) What is another to way “The NT dollar trades at 34.5 against one U.S. dollar”? The exchange rate is 34.5 NT dollars for one USD.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “weak” in the first sentence? uncertain, or better yet fragile

(2.)In the second, what can be taken in place of “hurt” and “shrink”? damage and reduce

(3.) In the third sentence, what is another way to say “it will make everybody’s purse leaner”? it will decrease people's incomes. or it will impact people's incomes.

(1.) In the first sentence, what can be taken in place of encourage? stimulate

(2.) In the first sentence, may I use the plural form of “investment”? yes

(3.) In the second, may I say also, “cut down on/reduce foreign laborers”? (leave out “the number of”?) yes that would be fine

(4.) What is another way to say “…so that more job opportunities are available to the locals”? "so that locals have more job opportunities" or "so that more jobs are available to the locals"

“So that more job opportunities will be offered/given to the locals” no
or “so that the locals will have more job opportunities” ? yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker