English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.
M: Guess what? I ran into Jeff this morning.
W: Wow, Jeff was the most handsome guy in the English department! Is he the same now that he’s graduated?
M: He hasn’t changed much. He’s still good looking and funny. He now works at a junior high school.
W: It seems as if he’s doing great.

(1.)What is another way to say “Is he the same now that he’s graduated?”?
Does it mean the same if I say, “Has he remained the same since he graduated?”?

(2.) In the last sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “It seems like he’s doing great” or “He seems to be doing great”?

2.Traditional English rock music is not quite my cup of tea.

(1.) What is another way to say “my cup of tea”?  “My type/choice”?

I prefer soft romantic pieces to those offensive hard ones.
(2.)What do “offensive” and “hard”?  “Annoying” and “heavy metal”?

3.Cheer up! You need patience and peace talks. Go and chat with your sister yourself and I’m sure she’ll understand.

(1.) What does “peace” imply ? What is another way to say “peace talks”?

M: I think it’s your mother. She sounds nervous so it might be something urgent.
W: All right. Please put her through.

(2.) What is another way to say “please put her through”?

4.I think black high-heels go better with your dress than the ones you are wearing.

(1.)Does it mean the same if I replace “go” with “match”?

M: I would rather stay up late to study than get up early the next morning.
W: That’s not the case for me.

(2.)What is another way to say, “That’s not the case for me.”?
“I am totally different from you’ or "I disagree." ?

5.
In North America, you always have to make an appointment before you visit the doctor, but this is not the case here in Taiwan. You can make an appointment or you can just walk in and tell the staff that you want to see the doctor.

(1.)In the context, what is another way to say “this is not the case here in Taiwan”? “This is different here in Taiwan”?

M: The skirt you’re wearing looks quite cheesy.
 W: Why did you say? I spent $10,000 on it and it’s Chanel!
 M: Forget what I said, then.

(2.)In the conversation, does it mean the same if I replace “forget what I said, then” with “never mind, then.”?

Answer
1.
W: It seems as if he’s doing great.

Does it mean the same if I say, “Has he remained the same since he graduated?”? yes, or "Has he changed much since graduation?

(2.) In the last sentence, does it mean the same if I say, “It seems like he’s doing great” or “He seems to be doing great”? yes

(1.) What is another way to say “my cup of tea”?  “My type/choice”? my thing, my style

(2.)What do “offensive” and “hard”?  “Annoying” and “heavy metal”? no
obnoxious (maybe?!) for offensive and hard .. I don't think you can change it (it's definitely not the same as heavy metal) I'd stick to offensive and hard

(1.) What does “peace” imply ? What is another way to say “peace talks”? "peace" is not used in isolation it's part of the expression "peace talks" and those are talks meant to end hostilities, to reconcile

W: All right. Please put her through.

(2.) What is another way to say “please put her through”? Connect me to her

(1.)Does it mean the same if I replace “go” with “match”? no

W: That’s not the case for me.

I am different than you.

5.

(1.)In the context, what is another way to say “this is not the case here in Taiwan”? “This is different here in Taiwan”? yes

M: Forget what I said, then.

(2.)In the conversation, does it mean the same if I replace “forget what I said, then” with “never mind, then.”? yes  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker