English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1. Hmm. I see. How about your appetite? Do you feel like eating or vomiting?

(1.) What can be taken in place of “vomiting”? “Puking” or “throwing up”?

There are two dogs in the upper cage of the pet shop.
There are two cats in the lower cage of the pet shop.

(2.) What is another way to say “the upper/lower cage”?  “the top/bottom cage”?

2. The dogs look fierce and the cat seems tame.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “fierce” and “tame”? “Scary/aggressive” and “trained/submissive”?

He is sending the woman away.

(2.) What is the difference if I say “He is seeing the woman off”?

3. Walk down Grand Street and turn left at the intersection. Keep going and the bank is on your right.

(1.) May I replace “the intersection” with “the crossroads”? Does it mean the same?

Taiwan is experiencing a decline in the number of births.

(2.)   In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say also, “Taiwan is experiencing a declining birth rates” or “The number of births is declining in Taiwan”?

4.The total number of babies born in 2004 and 2005 surpasses the number of those born in 2001.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “surpasses”?  “Goes beyond” or “is greater than”?

The police officer placed the man under arrest and said, “Get down on your knees and put your hands behind your head.”?

(2.) What is another way to say “placed the man under arrest”? “ Arrested the man”?

5. She is playing loud music.

(1.) May I say also, “She is playing music so loud.”?  What is the difference?

Chatting with friends is a good way to help you get through the day when you feel depressed.

I had a back operation a week ago, but my wound still hurts a lot, so I will take a painkiller to help myself get through the day.

(2.) should I leave out “help you” in the first sentence and “help myself” in the second?

Answer

(1.) What can be taken in place of “vomiting”? “Puking” or “throwing up”? Throwing up if yo umust, vomiting is too informal

(2.) What is another way to say “the upper/lower cage”?  “the top/bottom cage”? yes

(1.) What can be taken in place of “fierce” and “tame”? “aggressive” and “docile”

He is sending the woman away.

(2.) What is the difference if I say “He is seeing the woman off”? Not much, you can use either expression here.

(1.) May I replace “the intersection” with “the crossroads”? Does it mean the same? Most native speakers would use "intersection" so "crossroads" may sound unnatural. It would still be correct

(2.)    In the sentence, does it mean the same if I say also, “Taiwan is experiencing declining birth rates” or “The number of births is declining in Taiwan”? yes (just no "a" in front of declining in the first)

(1.) What can be taken in place of “surpasses”?  “Goes beyond” or “is greater than”? either

(2.) What is another way to say “placed the man under arrest”? “ Arrested the man”? yes

5. She is playing loud music.

(1.) May I say also, “She is playing music so loud.”?  What is the difference? You can, they basically mean the same

(2.) should I leave out “help you” in the first sentence and “help myself” in the second? you can, the meaning won't change.

I'd rephrase the first to read "I had back surgery a week ago but I still hurt a lot so I take painkillers to get through the day."  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker