English as a Second Language/word choice

Question
1.He disappeared into the horizon.

(1.) What is another way to say “disappeared into the horizon”? “Disappeared over the horizon” or what else?

Nothing gives me more pleasure than helping others.
In the summer, nothing cools me off better than ice cream.

(2.) Does it mean the same if I replace “happiness” with “pleasure” and “cools me off” with “cools me down”?

2.What a long way it is from here to the airport!

(1.) Does it mean the same if I say, “How long the way from here to the airport!’?

The best worker sometimes blunders.

(2.) What can be taken in place of “blunders”?  “Makes a boo boo” or “messes up”?

3.Tim argues with his new neighbor constantly.

(1.)    Does it mean the same if I say “Tim falls out with his neighbor constantly.”?

He insulted me in front of my colleagues. I will get even with him one day.

(2.) What is another way to say “I will get even with him one day”?  “I’ll take revenge one day” or “I’ll avenge myself one day.”?

4.As the number of people over 65 soars, more and more of our citizens will need looking after.  Support for senior citizens is quite a drain on the country’s finances.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “looking after”? “Care”?

(2.) What does the second sentence imply?  “Support for senior will cost the country a lot of money”?

5.They have spent all their money, so they have to walk home.
(1.)    In the sentence, may I replace “spent” with “used up” and “run out of”?

This is too complicated a question to answer.

(2.)Does it mean the same if I say “This question is too complicated to answer” or “This is such a complicated question that I can’t answer”?

Answer
  1.He disappeared into the horizon.

(1.) What is another way to say “disappeared into the horizon”? None... it's a "poetical" expression and shouldn't be changed

(2.) Does it mean the same if I replace “happiness” with “pleasure” and “cools me off” with “cools me down”?  yes

(1.) Does it mean the same if I say, “How long the way from here to the airport!’? ... that sounds more like a question

That's a long way from here to the airport!

The best worker sometimes blunders.

(2.) What can be taken in place of “blunders”?  messes up or makes mistakes

(1.)   Does it mean the same if I say “Tim falls out with his neighbor constantly.”? yes, but I'd stick to "argues"

(2.) What is another way to say “I will get even with him one day”?  “I’ll avenge myself one day.”? even I'll set the record straight one day.

(1.) What can be taken in place of “looking after”? “Care”? yes

(2.) What does the second sentence imply?  “Support for senior will cost the country a lot of money”? yes

(1.)   In the sentence, may I replace “spent” with “used up” and “run out of”? yes

(2.)Does it mean the same if I say “This question is too complicated to answer” or “This is such a complicated question that I can’t answer”? yes on all accounts  

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker