English as a Second Language/Question

Question
Hi Amy

Would you please tell what does this sentence mean? "I was taken aback, to say the least, and even the jaded American press corps was speechless."

Full context is here:
At our joint press conference, Prime Minister Sir Michael Somare was asked by an American reporter what his response was to these troubling statistics. Somare claimed the problems were “exaggerated by people who write about us.” Yes, he admitted, there were some cases of violence, but he added, “I have been around for a long time and I know that men and the women, sometimes there are fights, arguments do take place, but it’s nothing very brutal.” There were laws in place, he said. “We have
cases where people are drunk. . . . A person cannot control when he’s under the influence of liquor.” I was taken aback, to say the least, and even the jaded American press corps was speechless.

Best

Hossein Saeedi

Answer
Hi Hossein,

it means that she was totally surprised, and even the jaded press representatives were, to the point of not knowing what to say next.

(Jaded means tired, boring, lacking enthusiasm.)

So pretty much everybody was extremely surprised.

~Amy

English as a Second Language

Amy Baker